[ANN] SMC 2.0.0 Beta announcement thread

Talk about Maryo and Mario :)

Moderator: SMC Team

[ANN] SMC 2.0.0 Beta announcement thread

Postby Quintus » 01 Aug 2014 13:49

Hi everyone,

I am proud to announce that, in conformance with the release plan, at 00:00 UTC SMC 2.0.0 was frozen and thereby the first Beta version of the upcoming 2.0.0 release is to be issued.

Update 2014-08-17: The second beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
Update 2014-09-07: The third beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
Update 2014-10-02: The fourth beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
Update 2014-10-27: The fifth beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
Update 2014-11-19: The sixth beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
Update 2015-01-11: The seventh beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
Update 2015-06-02: The eigth beta has been released. The download links have been adjusted.
UPDATE 2015-08-17: The final 2.0.0 stable version has been released. The download links have been adjusted.

Download

2.0.0 final version has been released! The rest of this topic thus is probably obsolete. I’ll leave it for history (or for the spambots).

-- OLD POSTING CONTENT FOLLOWS --

I would be pleased if some of you would provide precompiled packages for distributions such as Ubuntu or Fedora.

THIS IS A BETA VERSION. This means that it will be full of bugs and unexpected behaviour. The developers therefore need you: Please test this, and report any bugs you find to our issue tracker. Also, please make levels and submit them!. SMC 2.0.0 introduces scripting (and other new features), but there are no levels using them. For the final 2.0.0 release it would be very, very nice if we had some levels that use things such as scripting. With the feature freeze having happaned now, you can rely on the scripting API and other stuff staying stable. Only bugs will be fixed; no stuff will be removed or altered in an incompatible way until the final 2.0.0 release.

Please! Give feedback! Test! Make levels! :lshroom:

Valete,
Quintus
Last edited by Quintus on 17 Aug 2014 19:43, edited 3 times in total.
Aetas nulla ad discendum sera.
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: [ANN] SMC 2.0.0 Beta 1 released

Postby freegamer » 06 Aug 2014 15:09

I recommend posting this in places like e.g. http://forum.freegamedev.net (specifically Project Showcase & Collaboration) in order to get wider feedback and generate interest in SMC.
Want Free Games?

Free Gamer - open source games resource
freegamer
Eato
Eato

Postby Quintus » 06 Aug 2014 21:26

Very nice idea. I will do so for the second beta, which is currently scheduled for the weekend 16/17th August.

Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for supporting SMC!

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby datahead » 13 Aug 2014 00:40

Super Tux and Super Tux Kart maintain their user forums here, so this is definitely a good place to put a post about SMC.

freegamer, are there any other places you can suggest where we might post about SMC?

Also, come join us on IRC channel #secretchronicles some time - we always are eager to get more people on the channel. We maintain feature and issue tracking at https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC/issues.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: [ANN] SMC 2.0.0 Beta announcement thread

Postby Quintus » 17 Aug 2014 19:40

In line with the release plan, today the second beta of SMC 2.0.0 has been released. I will update the original post to reflect the new download locations.

The 2nd beta fixes some bugs, so you should try it out as soon as possible. Please give feedback again!

Here are the major things that changed since beta 1:

• SMC does not crash anymore on loading saves
  • Fix worlds positioning everything at the lower-left corner and making the worlds unplayable (tickets #116 and #138 by simpletoon and me)
  • Particle emitters can now have -1 as a TTL (for infinite TTL) (ticket #91 by simpletoon)
  • The Activate event is now properly fired on multiple-use boxes
  • Gees now don’t die when flying into the level bottom abyss
  • Fix balls not being destroyed when they hit an immune enemy
  • Waffles removed (ticket #81)

The full list of commits (28 commits in total):

Code: Select all
% git log --oneline --reverse v2.0.0-beta1..v2.0.0-beta2
fb5f5ef Add task for generating release tarballs
de2c7c9 Allow manually specifying version string for tarball
3ae92c9 Extract installation instructions into separate file.
1b5e315 Fix typo
553443e Add dependency install commandline for Ubuntu
3caa07b Include improved sauer2_7 level by @sauer2 (#59).
f100ffc Fix SMC crashing on save/load due to missing player_posx.
c86efdc Fix unexpected behaviour with CMake < 2.8.10.
e0425d2 Fix some formatting issues with INSTALL.md
15ad153 Make menu_brown_1 selectable as menu level (#122)
1dad973 Fix world saver treating lines as sprites (#116).
3c9db9f Fix world waypoints being loaded at (0|0) always (#116).
70bc514 Properly implement Function_Reload(). Fixes #125.
a67f463 Allow negative TTL and rotation values for particle emitters (#91).
029aef1 Add modified version of menu level by @sauer2. Fixes #122.
a8be537 Fix Activate event being only fired once for infinite bonus boxes.
c3bc186 Fix Gees dying in abyss
f4071ea Fix incorrect spelling 'live' -> 'life'
61ea41a Adapt world waypoints to new position naming scheme. Fixes #138.
3b1d493 Fix regression that caused one-time boxes to not fire the activate event.
530da60 Add quintus_5 level
a740f62 Fix balls not being destroyed when hitting a resistant enemy.
95cbfc9 Revert "goldpiece sprite replaced with the waffle ( from Crabmaster and some changes from me )" Waffles were being mistaken for coins - needs more discussion. This reverts commit 9a8e04586cedcd94a467caa13
2fbdfe9 Merge branch 'coinSwap' of git://github.com/datahead8888/SMC into release-2.0.0
490ee52 Re-add waffle SVG for later possible use
9c23e31 Improve SSL README
bb9696a Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of github.com:Secretchronicles/SMC into release-2.0.0
1c1d483 Add rdoc/ to .gitignore

Valete,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby datahead » 17 Aug 2014 20:41

I just thought I'd point out to everyone that we've been finding a LOT of bugs in the save game system. If you're looking for a way to find some bugs, that's a good place to test!

Here are some of the known bugs:
  • If you save the game as Ghost Maryo then load it, you will lose your original power up (ie mushroom or fireflower) - I'm coding a fix for this now using Dev Ed's patch as a reference
  • Invincibility is not saved at all
  • The amount of time left for ghost Maryo is not saved at all
  • If you are climbing a rope and save, the climbing state is lost, and you will fall upon loading your save file
  • There appear to be some bugs with what music plays when the file is loaded (I'm going to try and reproduce some of these)
  • These are probably not saved but not confirmed yet: time remaining for invincibility, god mode, whether or not you are holding an army shell
  • The game outright crashes when encountering bad xml in a save state file; it should give a user error instead on the screen and display the programmer error on the console

If you can confirm some of the unconfirmed items above or find new save state bugs, that is helpful. Likewise, hammer the rest of the game and make it cry :)
Lastly, level editing is one of the best ways to find bugs!
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Quintus » 07 Sep 2014 15:48

With one week delay, the third beta version of SMC 2.0.0 has been published!

For the download links, please see the OP, which I will edit accordingly shortly.

Again, some bugs were fixed, and we now have internationalisation support again. Note, though, that this only means that SMC can now be displayed in languages different from English, but this requires translations to be created. I’m proud to say that we have a complete Finnish translation of the game, thanks to xet7’s hard work. Please notify me or show up on IRC if you want to create a translation.

Here are the major things that changed:

• Ghost Maryo is now properly saved (issue #13 by me, PR #159 by datahead)
  • Invincibility is now properly saved (PR #159 by datahead)
  • Climbing state (e.g. on a rope) is now properly saved (PR #159 by datahead)
  • Empty shells now die like turtles when hold against a block (issue #78 by me)
  • Version number is now displayed more nicely (was just "UNRELEASED" before)
  • If a CEGUI 0.7.x is detected on the system, use that one instead of downloading and building one
  • Fixed internationalization system
  • Add Finnish translation (PRs #170 and #171 by xet7)

The full list of commits (62 in total):

da737e1 Adding QT Creator entry to .gitignore - will cause me problems with release 2.0 otherwise
e98e69e Save temporary state to xml savefile to fix issue where other power ups do not save with ghost maryo
86c27b9 Some fixes on the release tarball task
1d13872 Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
08b17a0 Default type_temp_power field in save game xml files to small maryo if field not found
98a0c56 implemented main logic for saving invincibility to save state file - does not work yet
3c8a9bd Remove QT Creator user settings file, add wildcard to git ignore entry for it
5d8f275 second commit for wildcard for QT Creator settings file entry in gitignore
6ca43d4 Move logic for applying invincibility to player to prevent it from being wiped out by level init
5b4e785 Commenting changes
44e7d84 Moved logic for saving powerups below level init to make it clearer and less bug prone
e4aea21 General music playing fixes for load save state option
a85aa30 Resolve Handle_Collision_Box todo.
0f880d6 Treat cShell like cTurtle for death check. Fixes #78.
7b00384 Merge branch 'fix-loose-shell-box-behaviour' into release-2.0.0
d5556d8 Save time left for ghost maryo
8c5495e Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
a20c057 made climbing state load correctly
6feaeaa Fixed issue where position of loose shell didn't load.  Fixed issue where linked (holding) state of army didn't load
0abe811 Set better default for ghost time in save state file.  Fixes an issue where old save files saved with ghost Maryo resulted in weird color for Maryo.
f9f398b Add postfix version number to identify beta (and other) versions.
0eff969 Fix handling of credits.cpp and thus allow completely out-of-source builds.
9bd5b9c Try searching for CEGUI 0.7.x first before downloading and compiling it.
cef16eb Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
896b0cb Remove .mo files from Git, they are generated.
25cef57 Move translation files
e0ffcb2 Generate .mo translation files during build process.
3bdd876 Add gettext translation managing tasks.
177b7a5 Add task for re-merging the .po files with the master .pot file.
4939c1a Run xgettext on our sources and re-generate the .pot master file.
29fbce5 Update all the .po files with the master .pot file.
c5885ae Fix po headers of .po files
a7014dc Start translation guide
cc2e432 Install the .mo files with the correct naming.
b96817c I18n task reorganization
4c609e0 Update .pot file against latest sources
91809c7 Create SMC Translation guide.
4f3a37e Start work on German translation again.
e5f5d7d Add appendix on how to create POT file
adfc9c1 Introduce pluralisation to SMC i18n.
d2b81ea Update .pot file
c7de149 Update German translation
c22da68 Remove outdated comment
990a890 Add Finnish translation.
1323b95 Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
5bc0ed8 Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of git://github.com/xet7/SMC into release-2.0.0
8e2c159 Finnish translation update: added missing spaces, and better translations.
dbdcc2e Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of git://github.com/xet7/SMC into release-2.0.0
4f9ff88 Update credits
975c66e Add message contexts to internationalization.
e6ae1d3 Use contexts to distinguish between level, world, and action names.
7a5f553 Update .pot file
a7eca68 Add info about special cases for translators
0493ae2 Update German translation
ae92d56 Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
b2c41bc Fix NLS being always disabled.
bfa179a Process all .po files at once rather than one by one.
5ded54d Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
f56fd52 Add some developer instructions for translation
9785fbf Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
8e0c1f3 Merge pull request #159 from datahead8888/release2Dot0SaveGameFixes
6f65325 Beta version bump

Please note that the 4th beta version will be delayed, because I am on holidays in the next weeks. That is, instead of being published on 2014-09-13/14, it will be published on 2014-09-27/28.

Valete,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby datahead » 11 Sep 2014 06:36

These are two other save state fixes we introduced that need to be tested:
  • If you save the game while holding a "live" army in its shell, you will still be holding it when you load the game.
  • The position of loose shells is now saved

These are known bugs that do not have published fixes yet:
  • If you save the game on the world map and load it, level music will be played instead of world map music. (I introduced this bug and am working on fixing it.)
  • The spin state of spin boxes is not saved (Brian Vanderburg has coded a fix that is awaiting review and merging.)
  • The positions of crates are not saved.

Note that we decided NOT to save the god mode state.

Can you find more save state bugs? Can you find other types of bugs in the game?
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby cirocc » 29 Sep 2014 20:39

AMAZING! I still love SMC, i wanted so much this version :D
The Secret Chronicles of Dr.M
cirocc
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby cirocc » 29 Sep 2014 21:37

There are so many bugs, like the level editor images and loading times. Can't wait for the final version!
cirocc
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby datahead » 29 Sep 2014 23:38

Hello, cirocc - thank you for your feedback!

We'd be interested in learning the details for any bugs you have found so that we can get them fixed.

You can either post them here or (preferably) in our issue tracker:
https://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC
Note that the link to our issue tracker will probably change very soon.

Testing is a very big focus right now...
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Quintus » 30 Sep 2014 08:02

I agree with datahead, we definitely need more testers. Thanks for helping us out!

The level loading times are indeed a bit tough, but we are working on it. Hopefully we can reduce them for 2.0.0, and if not, it will be done in a later version, because it definitely IS annoying, but we want to ship the 2.0.0 release as soon as possible.

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Quintus » 30 Sep 2014 13:17

I am going to delay the 4th beta until the naming discussion ticket has been resolved, which should be in a few days I hope.

Valete,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby cirocc » 30 Sep 2014 18:21

Quintus wrote:I am going to delay the 4th beta until the naming discussion ticket has been resolved, which should be in a few days I hope.

Valete,
Quintus

AMAZING! :)
cirocc
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby cirocc » 01 Oct 2014 11:10

I don't have github account, so i'll post bugs here: (Sorry for bad english, i'm Italian)
Some bugs i discovered are:
1. Loading times.
2. "Rocco" is a bit messed up: I made a custom levels with Rocco. but with the new Yellow Rocco it's all messed up. The new Rocco isn't in the same position.
3. Level Editor: Example: Pipes. The pic shows a normal pipe, but when you select it's a Left or Right pipe.
4.Camera on Levels are messed up: screenshot as an example -----> (Look at Maryo) http://i.imgur.com/Bq7aQMb.jpg
Here's important bug to solve :D There are more bug i guess, but i only discovered those.
Keep up 2.0 work! :D
cirocc
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby Quintus » 01 Oct 2014 17:56

cirocc wrote:I don't have github account, so i'll post bugs here: (Sorry for bad english, i'm Italian)

You might be interested in keeping the Italian translation of the game up-to-date. I have been trying to learn Italien in the last weeks, but obviously you can’t learn a language in two weeks; I already know Spanish, which at the moment proves more confusing then useful. Each time I don’t know some word in Italian I’m using a Spanish one... If you would look to maintain the Italian translation, please join our IRC channel #secretchronicles on freenode.net to discuss. If you’re lucky, then xet7 is online there, who is the Finnish translator and may help you to get up and running.

cirocc wrote:Loading times.

Yes, this is the most obvious problem we currently have. Sadly, it’s also the most complex one. Resolving it will take a lot of time, and I am not sure if we can do it before the 2.0.0 release.

cirocc wrote:"Rocco" is a bit messed up: I made a custom levels with Rocco. but with the new Yellow Rocco it's all messed up. The new Rocco isn't in the same position.

OK, thank you for reporting this. We already have discovered a problem with Rokko, it may be related.

cirocc wrote:Level Editor: Example: Pipes. The pic shows a normal pipe, but when you select it's a Left or Right pipe.

This is a known issue. You might not have a GitHub account, but you should search the issue tracker nonetheless :-)

cirocc wrote:Camera on Levels are messed up: screenshot as an example

That’s not a bug, it’s a feature :-). The level designer has set the top border of his level to that value, and the camera will never cross the top border, the same it never crosses the left, right, or bottom borders. Some people use this to create hidden paths to secret areas. That being said, some levels had the borders accidentally shifted during the development process, and if you think the level looked differently in an elder version, please verify in the editor and submit the fixed level to us so we can include it into the game!

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby cirocc » 01 Oct 2014 18:14

cirocc wrote:I don't have github account, so i'll post bugs here: (Sorry for bad english, i'm Italian)
Some bugs i discovered are:
1. Loading times.
2. "Rocco" is a bit messed up: I made a custom levels with Rocco. but with the new Yellow Rocco it's all messed up. The new Rocco isn't in the same position.
3. Level Editor: Example: Pipes. The pic shows a normal pipe, but when you select it's a Left or Right pipe.
4.Camera on Levels are messed up: screenshot as an example -----> (Look at Maryo) http://i.imgur.com/Bq7aQMb.jpg
Here's important bug to solve :D There are more bug i guess, but i only discovered those.
Keep up 2.0 work! :D

OTHER BUGS:
1. When you end a level (In "Level" not "Words") , it automatically bring you at start screen.
2. Worlds are messed up : Level pointers are missing. Screen ------> http://i.imgur.com/wG1OadS.png
3. Sound of Ice shotting is the old one.. Why? I prefer the new one! :wink:
cirocc
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby Quintus » 01 Oct 2014 18:27

cirocc wrote:. When you end a level (In "Level" not "Words") , it automatically bring you at start screen.

Which is the behaviour you would expect here? Please elaborate!

cirocc wrote:Worlds are messed up : Level pointers are missing

This has been fixed in current Git. Beta4 will have that resolved.

cirocc wrote:Sound of Ice shotting is the old one.. Why? I prefer the new one!

I can’t remember changing it back. I will look into that. Thank you!

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby cirocc » 01 Oct 2014 18:37

Quintus wrote:
cirocc wrote:. When you end a level (In "Level" not "Words") , it automatically bring you at start screen.

Which is the behaviour you would expect here? Please elaborate!

cirocc wrote:Worlds are messed up : Level pointers are missing

This has been fixed in current Git. Beta4 will have that resolved.

cirocc wrote:Sound of Ice shotting is the old one.. Why? I prefer the new one!

I can’t remember changing it back. I will look into that. Thank you!

Vale,
Quintus

Level Start screen problem explained in a image: http://i.imgur.com/IrWWsHw.png
cirocc
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby Quintus » 02 Oct 2014 16:48

I am happy to announce the release of the 4th beta version with 5 days delay. For the download links, please see the OP, which I will edit accordingly shortly.

As always, some bugs have been fixed, most notably the problem with the invisble waypoints on the world map is gone now. Some new graphics have been added and some background music. The most important thing however is that this is the first release under our new official name, The Secret Chronicles of Dr. M.. There are still "Maryo" texts running around everywhere, but they will now be removed from the game step-by-step. This also means that after the final release of 2.0.0, any announcements regarding the fork will be made on the fork’s website. Up until and including the 2.0.0 release, the announcements will be made in this thread. However, as a preperation for the future, I recommend you to register on our separate forums.

Important changes:

• The correct music is now played on levels/worlds when loaded from savegames (PR #174 by datahead)
  • Spinbox’ spinning state is now saved and loaded properly (PR #185 by brianvanderburg2)
  • New white1_1 block (ticket #98 by sauer2)
  • Crate positions are now properly saved (ticket #167 by datahead)
  • Level editor is now closed when you click "enter" in the menu while the editor is opened (ticket #148 by datahead)
  • Several new background music files
  • World waypoints now appear on top of the way again (ticket #126 by penguin)
  • Toggling multiple sprites with "m" in the editor now doesn’t confuse the Z ordering
  • New skyscrapers background by Dreamer

This release also experiments with a replacement for the green ground tileset by Crabmaster, but it is very likely to be swapped by an even better tileset by Bugsbane. The full list of commits (42 in total):

e6c4e5e Apply coding style changes as per tickets #87 and #159.
cf122f8 Change .dir-locals.el to use the new indentation settings.
88f65b4 More finer-grained style definition for Emacs.
fb62bb3 Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of github.com:Secretchronicles/SMC into release-2.0.0
b16c964 Rake :clobber task now also cleans the mruby build directory
6f6ae9a Indicate post-beta version
3f43475 Add branching and versioning models to coding conventions documentation
e32db16 Add initial logic for playing world music when loading save state from world map (does not work yet).
5650377 Make it play world/level music based on save state file when game is loaded.
6cc79d3 merge release K&R formatting changes into world music fixes
f00c05f Save spinbox spinning state to save game.
5b24f9c Merge pull request #187 from datahead8888/worldMusicFix
963ee35 Update .pot file /cc @xet7
8a0be0a Update README
b08d22f Add improved version of white1_1 block by @sauer2. Closes #98.
3c4f584 Finnish translation update: added latest changes and better translations.
d041782 Save/load crate state. Fixes #167.
063f956 Remove useless space around "::" in function definitions.
7d241c8 Add some fixmes
01f76bf Disable level editor when the "Enter" button is clicked. Fixes #148.
287de7c Merge branch 'release-2.0.0' of git://github.com/xet7/SMC into release-2.0.0
8d699ef Comment out uid collision check for improving level load performance.
a21ef75 Add Ragtime music by Johan Brodd.
07eff37 Add mono music by aakburns.
bcf0fb8 Add maximie music by aakburns.
2fc8e20 Merge branch 'brianvanderburg2-release2.0-fix-spinbox-save' of git://github.com/Secretchronicles/SMC into release-2.0.0
82939f3 Make player’s Z position a constant in cSprite like all other Z base values.
f4f2f8c Exclude overworld waypoints from the Z correction. Fixes #126.
1b39c99 Fix massivity toggling of multiple sprites assigning incorrect Z coordinates.
d1f651e Start replacing 0.00001f by cSprite::m_pos_z_delta.
9284bc7 Add skyscrapers background by Dreamer.
e0f2bb6 Add automn tree by Crabmaster and mrvertigo27.
7f38dc5 Add candle graphic by crabmaster.
4fc8ea0 Replace green ground with graphics by crabmaster.
adfdf01 Add "Morning in a castle" music by Nearbu.
7ea090b Add Snowy Mountain music by Naerbu.
7b275d2 Add Beatiful World music by Naerbu.
1c3a905 Remove old SMC logo from the title screen.
70e14eb Update README with new title
e01201e Add new lvl_1 with more original artwork.
8417a4b Change title music to hyper_1.ogg temporarily.
b338585 Beta version bump

Beta 5 is due on the weekend of 2014-10-11/12.

Valete,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Next

Return to General