Ripped music in SMC / replacements

New Sounds and Music for SMC. Don't attach big files.

Moderator: SMC Team

Ripped music in SMC / replacements

Postby Quintus » 03 Jul 2014 17:48

Hi to all music people,

it would be very nice if I could get you involved in a little problem I think I have discovered today. In issue ticket #97 I think I came about a good number of ripped music in SMC, which will have to be completely removed from SMC for copyright infringement. We will be lacking quite a lot of background music, so it would be nice if you could share your opinion regarding the fact whether these files are really ripped or if they are just modelled after original SMW ones (in which case we shouldn’t remove these files immediately).

Also, suggestions on alternatives arevery welcome, as even music openly being modelled after mario music shouldn’t stay in SMC.

Valete,
Quintus
Aetas nulla ad discendum sera.
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: Ripped music in SMC / replacements

Postby Guest_xD » 27 Jul 2014 23:52

Looking for Music licensed in a way that allows non-profit usage might also be an idea worth considering.
Of course, original tracks are miles better, but if there's tracks lacking this might be an alternative worth looking at.

Best Regards
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby datahead » 28 Jul 2014 02:36

Yeah, I had the same thought as GuestXD before. However, the one risk is that some people will get "attached" to the borrowed songs and complain when we seek to replace them with something original later. Ultimately, though, you can't satisfy everyone.

Also, in the case of level ending music, it actually is possible to not have a music track here. That said, it's a lot better with one.

If we end up trying to sell an audio CD for funding later, we will have to evaluate the licensing against all borrowed songs.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Quintus » 28 Jul 2014 09:13

datahead wrote:If we end up trying to sell an audio CD for funding later, we will have to evaluate the licensing against all borrowed songs.

We will run into problems with music that is licensed under CC-BY-NC, i.e. under non-commercial terms. I am not sure if we have such currently, but if we do, we can’t use them for audio CD. Apart from that, the music is distributed with the game itself in a non-DRM format, so you can just copy the music files from the game’s directory. What advantage does an audio CD have? Ideally, if we had the original FLAC files, we could distribute the CDs with higher audio qualitity. However, we don’t have these. Acquiring these would require contacting all the music authors and see if they still have the FLACs.

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby datahead » 17 Aug 2014 01:52

What advantage does an audio CD have?

You had talked about publishing an album to raise funds. Traditionally people have purchased audio CD's or records in days gone by. You are correct that converting songs to an audio CD format will not increase their sound quality - any quality loss while converting to a compressed format is permanent unless you acquire the original version. The advantage of a physical CD, though, is that it could allow us to print artwork on a CD, on the case, and on a printed booklet. This gives people an incentive to buy it and gives them memorabilia.

On another subject, we might consider making it a standard that musicians include their source files used to generate the music (unless it's not possible in some cases). Thus the music would be open source, much as we are doing with the SVG files for images and with the code.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Quintus » 17 Aug 2014 20:23

datahead wrote:On another subject, we might consider making it a standard that musicians include their source files used to generate the music (unless it's not possible in some cases). Thus the music would be open source, much as we are doing with the SVG files for images and with the code.

I like the idea, though I have to investigate how to print artwork on CDs :-). Note that I would rather like the artists to share their FLAC files for this purpose, i.e. the music files that do not have any quality loss. Then the audio CDs/DVDs/whatever would provide a real benefit over the music that comes with SMC itself. This way, both the person who purchases the CD and we as a project have an added value. FLAC files tend to be very, very large, so a lot of space will have to be available somewhere.

Vale,
Quintus
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby datahead » 17 Aug 2014 20:28

When we reach a point at which we contact jobromedia and naerbu again, we can ask them if they could provide us with FLAC files (or some equivalent) for the music they've submitted. We can eventually contact other musicians again. While we're looking into the server questions we discussed in IRC, we can think about storage space for larger music files.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to New Music / Sounds