World and 15 levels

Completed levels and worlds. Post updates in the same thread if it is not in upstream.

Moderator: SMC Team

World and 15 levels

Postby rinscewind » 15 Sep 2010 09:54

I started messing around with the editor awhile back and made a few levels. Quite fun, as SMB was one I enjoyed in the arcade (always got lost in the maze at the end of level 8, never did find a way thru *sigh*). That was with 1.5 and 1.6. Checking back every so often, I decided to try the new 1.8 and then a few days later 1.9 came out. A few of the levels are rather basic and not to my liking, and if you can tell which ones they are, well, those are results of just messing around. I did tidy them up a bit, but left them mostly as-is.

FYI, I've hidden a few things behind front passive tiles here and there. I believe I did a pretty good job of making all the unnecessary Massive tiles into Passive or Front Passive as needed, so please don't mess around with them ... at least until after trying a run thru or three. Its a pain to get the tile stacking just right. :nutcase: I know I was lazy with filling in the blanks in the warps on the World map and the level exits. I never tho't I'd post them, so I never worried much. The maps work fine without, for me at least. :P

A couple of the levels are sizeable, as in the arcade SMB the later levels are longer. Don't worry, tho ... I tried to make the levels enjoyable instead of just a series of deathtraps. The easier ones shouldn't be too boring.

Hope whoever plays them likes them. I'll check back now and again to see if any problems crop up, and see about fixing them.
Attachments
SMC_-_World_and_15.rar
(127.84 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
aaaa_world.zip
(185.61 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Last edited by rinscewind on 31 Dec 2010 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then go ahead ... you will be a mile away, and will also have his shoes.
rinscewind
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Re: World and 15 levels

Postby Crabmaster » 15 Sep 2010 17:33

I haven't finished them all yet, but I have to say, they are GREAT! :]] :]] Also, you said tiling is hard to do? In the controls section on the wiki there are some editor controls that can help. http://www.secretmaryo.org/wiki/index.php?title=Controls :mrgreen:
Feeling nostalgic for this ol' place!
Crabmaster
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby rinscewind » 15 Sep 2010 19:33

Er, tiling is easy, if everything is kept squared up, and the Front Passives are layered in last. Its when trying to be clever - in making a non-visible area for coins to pass thru that aren't big enough for furballs to path under - that the visual crispness get mucked up. The tile patterns don't align and so require a bit of effort to correct, and the fact that the Front Passive coding is a little buggy doesn't help much.

I finish this kind of fine tuning and save, only to find when reloading the level for testing that the Front Passive tiles aren't where they should be - they end up behind the objects they're supposed to cover up. Any number of tries to fix, including quitting out and restarting and then re-tiling the Front Passives doesn't work. Not even rebooting the system.

The only way I've found to fix this, and I don't know if it always works mind you, is to delete the Front Passive tiles, hit F8 and save, purposefully die, quit out of SMC, restart and reload the level and then put the Front Passive tiles in. This tends to make them stay in place. *scratches head* Memory allocation issues? I'm no expert. :?

Things of that nature when tiling. :]]
Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then go ahead ... you will be a mile away, and will also have his shoes.
rinscewind
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Postby powermaryo » 04 Dec 2010 13:19

great work :bshroom:
powermaryo
Turtle Shell red
Turtle Shell red

Postby levelengine » 04 Dec 2010 13:25

Can you post it as a .zip file please so I can test these levels?

Levelengine :mrgreen:
levelengine
Furball Boss
Furball Boss

Postby smc_gamer » 04 Dec 2010 15:17

Or you could use 7Zip. It's free, open source, and opens RAR files.
smc_gamer
Blog | "If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?" -Hobbes
smc_gamer
Static Saw
Static Saw

Postby rinscewind » 31 Dec 2010 01:21

Sorry for the delay in posting the world and levels as a .zip file. I only check the forums here every so often.

The .zip is in the first post, at the top.
rinscewind
Turtle Shell green
Turtle Shell green

Return to Releases