Desert Break Level, Revision 1

Completed levels and worlds. Post updates in the same thread if it is not in upstream.

Moderator: SMC Team

Desert Break Level, Revision 1

Postby datahead » 31 Dec 2007 02:10

First I thought I'd say that I think you've done a pretty good job with Super Mario Chronicles. I'd still like to see some additional features, but all things come with time.

I went ahead and made the below desert level - In the level you make your way through a series of challenges in the outside desert before scaling a cliff. You then must break into the cliff and into the underground lair within it.

One thing I would have really liked to have in the level was quicksand - both quicksand that kills you and quicksand that just makes you sink a bit might be useful - is this currently planned as a feature?

Any feedback is appreciated. If you have any suggestions or find any bugs in the level, please let me know.

Desert_Break.zip
Last edited by mrvertigo27 on 17 Jan 2010 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: level Atachment removed in favor of the repository version to conserve space
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: Desert Break Level, Revision 1

Postby dataheadb » 20 Jul 2008 22:42

Never any feedback?
Come on - If it's a bad level, could you tell me what needs to be changed? Then I can look into improving it...
Granted, I've waited around 6 months to reply myself.
I had intended it to be a bit more challenging than an easier level, though not too challenging.
I can also take out the message block at the start of the level that makes a reference to an unusual plot - this is not very well integrated into the level.
Do the 2 bonus rooms in the level need to be placed in separate level files?

Just wanted to know if there is anything that needs to be improved or if it actually is fine.
Thanks again.
dataheadb

Postby Robwood » 21 Jul 2008 01:51

I'm comparatively new to this board and had no idea this level was here. I'd've downloaded it a lot sooner if I knew about it! This level was absolutely amazing! It was a very frustrating level (in a good way). It took me many tries to do everything you wanted me to since I kept dying all the time and trying to get that single red coin in the underground level took me several hours to figure out--which I like, as I enjoy games that make you think instead of just blindly blowing through them.

dataheadb wrote:Never any feedback?

I feel your pain on this. I'm constantly asking for feedback and only getting it half the time.

I can also take out the message block at the start of the level that makes a reference to an unusual plot - this is not very well integrated into the level.

That'd be good. It just doesn't fit.

Do the 2 bonus rooms in the level need to be placed in separate level files?

My opinion is no; they're just too small to put forth that much effort. I personally only create new levels for the bonuses when there's something about the environment I want to change (just to break up the monotony), but otherwise can't, like the background or music. As short as your bonuses are in this level, there's no real need to make separate level files for them.

As for making improvements, i saw nothing that needed to be improved upon. This was a wonderful level and an absolute joy to play!
Robwood
Gee red
Gee red

Postby datahead » 28 Dec 2013 11:58

Has this level been added to a repository? It says, "level Atachment removed in favor of the repository version to conserve space".
Where can I find the repository? I tried looking around GitHub and sourceforge, but I'm not sure in what directory it would be.

My old computer on which I built the level crashed, so I'd like to find it in the repository and download it again.

Thanks in advance.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 30 Dec 2013 17:50

datahead wrote:Has this level been added to a repository? It says, "level Atachment removed in favor of the repository version to conserve space".
Where can I find the repository? I tried looking around GitHub and sourceforge, but I'm not sure in what directory it would be.

My old computer on which I built the level crashed, so I'd like to find it in the repository and download it again.

Thanks in advance.

https://github.com/Luiji/Secret-Maryo-C ... ted-Levels
https://github.com/Luiji/Secret-Maryo-C ... ter/levels
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby datahead » 03 Jan 2014 05:57

Thanks, I had since found a wiki entry linking to a zip file, but I did not realize there was a git repository.

I think it'd be a great idea to make all contributed levels that meet a minimal set of standards (semi reasonable design and acceptable content guidelines) accessible in the main game, under a separate world map. Even the art assets could be included for something like this.

This also might give the impetus for some sort of release. There are a couple edits I'd want to make to my level before it got included in anything, but it's done for the most part otherwise.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Releases