Why not save screenshots in SMC folder?

Propose new features or changes.

Moderators: SMC Team, MVP

Why not save screenshots in SMC folder?

Postby jobromedia » 26 Nov 2011 06:15

I see that a screenshot has been saved, I checked the wiki and I'm trying to locate [USER_DIR]/screenshotss. No such folder exists on my windows system. At all. Logical conclusion: Save the screenshots in the SMC folder where you really expect the screenshots related to the game to be stored. Open Surge does this,and has done so from 0.1.0. As a webmaster planning to post up an article on the game this isn't really reassuring not being able to find the screenshots one takes. And searching through 1.8 TB takes a long, long time...
Don't just download my music. Please give feedback. That's the least I do when I hear a good track.
jobromedia
Eato
Eato

Re: Why not save screenshots in SMC folder?

Postby BowserJr » 26 Nov 2011 10:30

[USER_DIR] is not a folder. As explained later in that section:
Information specific to your profile is stored in [USER_DIR]. You'll need to show hidden files to be able to see this directory.
On Windows, this will be C:/Documents and Settings/$your user name$/Application Data/smc or as a system link %APPDATA%/smc/.

So just open Explorer and type %APPDATA%/smc/ into the address bar and it should open your SMC data directory. The reason the game doesn't write to the install directory is that this doesn't work without admin permission on Linux, Mac and Vista onwards.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 26 Nov 2011 14:27

BowserJr wrote:The reason the game doesn't write to the install directory is that this doesn't work without admin permission on Linux, Mac and Vista onwards.

Actually, I think SMC creates two different directories, one you can write to without admin permissions and the other you do. (Linux) The one is in /home/[USERNAME]/.smc and the other is /usr/share/games/smc.
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby BowserJr » 27 Nov 2011 01:16

^Hence my use of "install directory" and "data directory" in the above post, and [USER_DIR] and [SMC_DIR] on the wiki :s-a:
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Feature Requests