Power up question...

Propose new features or changes.

Moderators: SMC Team, MVP

Power up question...

Postby datahead » 03 Jan 2014 07:55

Has there been any thought about creating a power up that makes platform jumping easier?

In SMB3 / Super Mario World the raccoon suit and cape allow you to slow down your fall so that you can more easily land on platforms (in addition to flying). In Super Mario Land 2 they made the interesting decision of having rabbit ears slow down your fall but NOT allow you to fly.

A friend of mine once said there are 2 components to a platformer: the platforms and the enemies. Some powerups should help you in dealing with enemies while others should in theory help you with platforms.

An additional possibility would be to add signs that disallow a type of powerup past a certain point. Donkey Kong Country 2 had these, and they really helped control level difficulty. Additional restrictions such as not allowing a "bunny ears" powerup to be brought from one level to another can also avoid impacting the difficulty of other levels.

I'm just throwing an idea out there for discussion. I know it would take sprites and code to make it happen.
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: Power up question...

Postby Luiji » 03 Jan 2014 19:24

A long time ago, in an ancient time, work was done onto the legendary cape. It has been said that it is still available in debug mode, for those who truly believe.

BELEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby datahead » 04 Jan 2014 04:11

If we believe hard enough, maybe it will become a reality in the normal version...
datahead
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 08 Mar 2014 21:04

CTRL+D, F2 for a cape. You can fly a short time with it. Not sure if it slows fall, though, because it's been a while since I've opened SMC, sadly.
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby Quintus » 04 Apr 2014 11:56

There has been no work on cape Maryo since I work on SMC. I’ve opened an issue on the tracker so we won’t forget about it.

Vale,
Quintus
Come to our fork of SMC: https://secretchronicles.org
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby penguin » 06 Apr 2014 19:05

I'm not quite sure if it has been longer but I believe that the last time that Cape Maryo has been touched was when Maryo was being recreated as an SVG...
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Quintus » 06 Apr 2014 19:19

At least some code is there, but I doubt it is enough to make a flying Maryo integrate properly with the rest of SMC’s world. I surely wouldn’t focus this for 2.0.0.

Vale,
Quintus
Come to our fork of SMC: https://secretchronicles.org
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Feature Requests