Your Computer Configuration

Everything else.

Moderators: SMC Team, MVP

Re: Your Computer Configuration

Postby Luiji » 27 Jun 2012 04:02

Well, let's see...

• You have to edit rc.conf to set your hostname during installation (can be left blank, I guess, but may cause problems).
  • You have to edit locale.gen during installation to enable en_US UTF-8/ISO-8859-1, otherwise some programs crash.
  • The installer automatically updates hosts with your hostname so you don't have to worry about that.
  • I'm guessing you're gonna want a graphical login manager instead of just a console, so you'll have to install GDM, KDM, SLiM or something of the like and edit inittab. (They have commented-out example lines for everything so its really easy.)

...that's it, if I remember correctly (just did an installation yesterday and I'm already unsure, =P). Make sure to following the Arch Linux Wiki for instructions, otherwise you might get stuck at something stupid like Pacman 4's new key system, which requires you to run 'pacman-key --init && pacman-key --populate archlinux' before you install anything without the installation disk.

One important thing that I had to Google to figure out, but is actually in pacman-key's wiki page, is that you'll have to create entropy for --init to work, otherwise it can take hours. Running 'while true; do find -name foobar; done' can take it down to a few seconds. Ah, the wonders of entropy randomization...secure, but annoying. =)

If you have a second computer running, I'd happily meet you up on IRC or something during the process if you run into any problems. Even mundane things like which window manager you should use (I'm running GNOME 3 with its default WM, but there are plenty available for Arch.)

If all this sounds like too much to you, there are of course a plethora of other distributions. BitTorrent will be your friend if you go hunting. (~.~)
Last edited by Luiji on 27 Jun 2012 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected formatting
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby To4ooo4 » 19 Jul 2012 19:46

You don't have to be Dr. Smartymod all the time. You should be Luiji more often. ROFL. (No offence.) ROFL
Pitiful Heartless, mindlessly collecting hearts. The rage of the Keyblade releases those hearts. They gather in darkness, masterless and free, until they weave together to make
KINGDOM HEARTS

~T2
http://nightmareshadowninja.boards.net/
To4ooo4
Gee red
Gee red

Postby Luiji » 20 Jul 2012 04:28

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Also, my Android phone's been updated to 4.x.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby BowserJr » 20 Jul 2012 07:16

Luiji wrote:my Android phone's been updated to 4.x.

Well that's not very informative. Is that 4.0 (ICS) or 4.1 (Jellybean)?

if (Build.Version.SDK_INT >= 16) {
Log.i("SMC", "Ooh, that's cool");
} else {
Log.i("SMC", "Oh, that took a while");
}
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 20 Jul 2012 16:41

According to my phone: 4.0.4.0.4.0.4. =P

Yeah, there was a long delay where I just didn't care about 4.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby To4ooo4 » 28 Jul 2012 15:39

:twisted: It was meant to be an insult. OR WAS IT.......
Pitiful Heartless, mindlessly collecting hearts. The rage of the Keyblade releases those hearts. They gather in darkness, masterless and free, until they weave together to make
KINGDOM HEARTS

~T2
To4ooo4
Gee red
Gee red

Postby mrvertigo27 » 28 Jul 2012 18:37

mrvertigo27 wrote:main box and minecraft server
AMD phenom 4 core 3.5 ghz
16 gigs of ram (DDR3)
128 gb SSD drive
Win7 home premium
ATI radeon HD 3200 (i believe if i remember correctly)
Creative sound blaster 5.1 Dolby surround

changed recently to

main box and minecraft server
AMD phenom 4 core 3.8 ghz
16 gigs of ram (DDR3)
256 gb SSD drive
Win7 home premium
ATI radeon HD 3800
Creative sound blaster 5.1 Dolby surround
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 28 Jul 2012 21:21

I thought you were a KDE/Linux user, when'd you switch to Windows 7?
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby To4ooo4 » 01 Aug 2012 18:53

WHY U TREATING ME LIKE A BOT!?!??!
KINGDOM HEARTS

~T2
To4ooo4
Gee red
Gee red

Postby Luiji » 01 Aug 2012 19:08

We're not.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby penguin » 01 Aug 2012 21:46

penguin wrote:Here's what I've got... I've been waiting for a good deal on an early Mac Pro....

1, Gateway E4000, Intel Pentium 4, at 2.0GHz, 1GB of RAM, 40GB and 20GB HD Space, Windows Vista Ultimate (On 20GB), Windows XP Pro Edition SP3 on 40GB, with an ATI Radeon X1300 Series
2: My Ancient IBM Thinkpad 600E (1997), Intel Pentium 2 (II) at 366MHz, 160MB of RAM, 6GB HD, Windows XP Home Edition SP3, and a NeoMagic (OnBoard) 2.5MB Video Chip.

THIS IS MY 500TH POST! YAY

I got a few updates to my configurations....

1. Gateway E4000, Intel Pentium 4 at 2.0GHz, 1GB of RAM, 40GB HDD, 120GB HDD, Winodws XP Professonial (my main build), Windows 8 Consumer Preview (use only when Windows XP goes down), ATI Radeon X1300 Series
2. IBM Thinkpad 600E (1997), Intel Pentium 2 at 366MHz, 160MB of RAM, 6GB HD, KNOPPIX, NeoMagic 2.5MB Video Chip (on Board)
3. Apple PowerMac G4, 500MHz G4 x 2 processors, 768MB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11 (PowerPC) (no, this box can't run Leopard), and a 16MB Video Card.
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 08 Aug 2012 18:28

What do you think of Windows 8? Personally, I think the "Metro" user interface is cumbersome and annoying, though it might be useful on tablets. I don't use tablets, though.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby penguin » 13 Aug 2012 04:28

I don't like it... It isn't as useful as I thought it was going to be.. But on the bright side, it runs insanely fast, with a boot time of 7 seconds, including BIOS! There is one thing that annoys me, the Windows 8 Boot Menu, it lags a ton, and they need to learn to load my Radeon driver before Metro starts up. One major flaw that occurs after a period of inactivity, my desktop looks like it is refreshing black, and back to the program that I had on the screen very quickly for several minutes at a time. This happens a lot with Adobe products installed on my system. Thats all i have to say about the flaws in Windows 8,What is very suprising on the other hand, it looks like the Consumer Preview is the last Windows my PC can run since as of now, the Release Preview and the newly released RTM version require the NX bit in the processor in which my processor does not support.
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 13 Aug 2012 05:31

Gr...requiring the NX bit is n00b. That may provide a beautiful security benefit to the system, but users shouldn't be shunned because their processors aren't capable of it! It should just wine really loudly at you during installation.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby Quintus » 19 Aug 2012 19:52

I don’t look too often in OffTopic, so I didn’t see this earlier...

My hardware:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 @3 GHz
RAM: 4GiB DDR3
Disk: 1TB (classical harddrive)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (however, I won’t do NVIDIA again, nouveau misses too many features, sadly...)

@Luiji: Nice to see you on Arch :). I’ve been running Arch for almost two years now, and never had any problems, not even with the /lib move many seem to not have been prepared for. Just add the offical Arch blog’s RSS feed to your favourite feed reader and you should be fine if you abstain from using pacman’s --force flag without very, very important reason.
@-DarkAceZ-: For any questions on Arch I’m available as well -- if you get me on IRC (Quintus_q) on freenode. However, I’m not really often online...

Valete,
Quintus

Edit: Oh, seeing you mentioned your desktop environment, I’ll do so as well: Mostly Xfce environment, just replaced the default window manager (xfwm) with i3, because I find tiling more useful than floating windows. And other tiling window managers do not compile (awesome) or are documented extremely poor (wmii).
Aetas nulla ad discendum sera.
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby penguin » 21 Aug 2012 22:38

Luiji wrote:Gr...requiring the NX bit is n00b. That may provide a beautiful security benefit to the system, but users shouldn't be shunned because their processors aren't capable of it! It should just wine really loudly at you during installation.

Yes, I have read that even users with Core i3 setups are experiencing this too, so.... What does the NX bit actually do?

(By the way, this is my 600th post!!!!)
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 21 Aug 2012 23:25

NX stands for "No eXecute." It's a virtual memory flag that can prevent certain blocks of memory from being executable. It is sometimes used to enhance program security by making sure that only data that is explicitly executable can be executed. This prevents many buffer-overflow attacks, especially when you implement a policy where executable chunks are implicitly constant in the operating system.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Previous

Return to Off-Topic