IRC clients

Everything else.

Moderators: SMC Team, MVP

IRC clients

Postby Quintus » 02 Jul 2014 17:06

Hi there,

for those Windows users of you who want to join our IRC channel #secretchronicles on freenode.net and found freenode’s webchat to be insufficient (as nearly everyone), here’s a quick overview over Windows IRC clients, covering both free/open-source and commercial software.

For graphical programs, people usually recommend HexChat, console users like me prefer to use Weechat or irssi. HexChat also runs on Windows, they say; so you probably want to use that one if you look for a uniform cross-platform experience.

I know Weechat runs on Mac OS, but I guess most Mac users don’t want to use the console. Suggestions are needed ;-)

Valete,
Quintus
Last edited by Quintus on 31 Jul 2014 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Aetas nulla ad discendum sera.
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: IRC clients

Postby Luiji » 06 Jul 2014 19:36

I've read that there are some IRC clients that integrate with Emacs. Have you ever tried that out, Quintus?

I'm trying to learn the basics of Emacs. It's a real powerhouse.
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Re: IRC clients

Postby Quintus » 06 Jul 2014 20:39

There is an IRC client included with Emacs. It’s called ERC: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/erc.html

I’ve not yet used it. I’m a happy Weechat user and not yet felt the need to switch. I do read my emails with Emacs, though.

...Emacs is really a nice operating system. It even has a text editor included! :mrgreen:

Vale,
Quintus
Aetas nulla ad discendum sera.
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Off-Topic