Note for building MXE on Ubuntu 14.04.1

Source Code and development in general from a technical point of view. Post Patches here.

Moderator: SMC Team

Note for building MXE on Ubuntu 14.04.1

Postby penguin » 12 Aug 2014 02:36

(...posting this here since Quintus' forums are down right now...)

A quick note if you're trying to get the MXE to build on Ubuntu 14.04.1, you may notice that it will fail to build glib if you build the MXE from scratch. If you want a quick fix, see commit 7e231efd245996b886b501dad780761205ecf376 from the MXE source project on github.

As seen from issue #204...
uklauer wrote:The problem is this part of srclib/stdio.in.h (a copy from gnulib) in the libiconv source:

/* It is very rare that the developer ever has full control of stdin,
so any use of gets warrants an unconditional warning. Assume it is
always declared, since it is required by C89. */
_GL_WARN_ON_USE (gets, "gets is a security hole - use fgets instead");
The assumption has become faulty, since C11 has dropped gets, and glibc has additionally dropped it for GNU sources after that. gnulib has been fixed, so the next libiconv release should be OK. A workaround would be to patch out the _GL_WARN_ON_USE (gets) in some way.

So knowing this, after the release of 2.0.0, should we devote some time to update our version of the MXE with more recent versions of the dependencies?
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Re: Note for building MXE on Ubuntu 14.04.1

Postby Quintus » 12 Aug 2014 15:59

penguin wrote:So knowing this, after the release of 2.0.0, should we devote some time to update our version of the MXE with more recent versions of the dependencies?

Definitely yes.

penguin wrote: If you want a quick fix, see commit 7e231efd245996b886b501dad780761205ecf376 from the MXE source project on github.

Thank you very much for figuring this out!

penguin wrote:(...posting this here since Quintus' forums are down right now...)

Should be up again. Had a little fight with Postgres this morning.

Vale,
Quintus
Aetas nulla ad discendum sera.
Quintus
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Development