Is this game still being developed?

Source Code and development in general from a technical point of view. Post Patches here.

Moderator: SMC Team

Is this game still being developed?

Postby Manscent » 10 Feb 2012 22:51

The original developer of Super Mario Clone lost interest and Fluxy picked it up. After years of work he turned a once dieing project it into this! However, the last Secret Maryo Chronicles version was released over 2 years ago, and now it's time to look for a new programmer to tighten the gameplay and finish implementing the missing features. I assume the users of this forum are like myself and lack the skills implement improvements.

How to restart the project:

Art department: The art style ranges from terrific to bad, but consistently feels inconsistent. User submissions should be harder to get into the game. Maryo needs run animations

Sound department: The jump sound is piercing after a while.

Game Programmer: improved camera, fix the weird hiccups that happen in levels, tighten Maryo's loose feeling movements, create something more rewarding at the end of the levels, support for slopes, flying, swimming.

Someone needs to champion the project and start recruiting again. I think game design students would be a good place to start and checking around forums.
Manscent
Spike
Spike

Re: Is this game still being developed?

Postby BowserJr » 11 Feb 2012 02:36

Topics like this do always make me feel a bit guilty, because I am working as a programmer for Android at the moment, and C++/ OpenGL stuff is a part of my normal job (although it's obviously mainly Java). I have tried to get comfortable with the game's source code for a while, but I tend to find the best way is just to jump in. There aren't really any good reasons why I haven't spent more time in the past. I could say I don't have much free time, or that I don't feel much like programming when I get home from a day of programming, but most other FOSS devs could probably say the same thing, and they still do it anyway. I'd certainly like to help if possible, but we'll need a more structured to-do list and direction.

Having development and releases pretty much relies on FluXy anyway though. He controls the website and the distribution channels. If he's left for good, you'd need to fork the project and start from scratch. He has been on occasionally recently, so I guess he's not left for good, but I'm going to guess his situation's probably similar to mine regarding free time, and he won't want to commit to anything.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 11 Feb 2012 03:40

Agreed. I'm being lazy (Not that I could do much anyways) but we still need FluXy around to keep things going...
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby Manscent » 11 Feb 2012 04:19

I can evangelize, recruit, help create the development plan, do public relations, help maintain the site, and look for better soundfx and audio on creative commons. I need someone who can code and someone who can tell bad artists to keep working on their stuff.
Manscent
Spike
Spike

Postby Dr. Luygi » 22 Feb 2012 05:25

this game has been at 1.9 for 3 years
im not sure if anyone is working on 2.0
Hello again, old friend.
Dr. Luygi
Gee red
Gee red

Postby penguin » 22 Feb 2012 23:26

Well, the last git revision was in August.....

Does anyone have experience with NSIS???? I'm getting errors building the installer for the current git....
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 23 Feb 2012 01:38

penguin wrote:Well, the last git revision was in August.....

Does anyone have experience with NSIS???? I'm getting errors building the installer for the current git....

SMC is using NSIS?? :shock:
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby penguin » 23 Feb 2012 02:59

Uh yeah... look in the extras folder in the git... you will find a NSIS script.
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Manscent » 25 Feb 2012 06:58

If any of you have the know how, I suggest a fork for a fresh start. I'm not familiar with that scripting language. Too bad we can't find a game developer who is still in college to take this project on.
Manscent
Spike
Spike

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 25 Feb 2012 15:02

Don't we have to get permission from FluXy before doing something like that??
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby Jonn » 25 Feb 2012 18:49

-DarkAceZ- wrote:Don't we have to get permission from FluXy before doing something like that??

Nope, it's GNU (as far as I know), so we're aloud to fork the game. Whether Fluxey it likes or not is another story...
No pizza is perfect, and SMC is not a pizza!
chicken+egg=dilemma
Jonn
Eato
Eato

Postby Dr. Luygi » 25 Feb 2012 22:49

penguin wrote:Well, the last git revision was in August.....

that's still 7 MONTHS with no updates whatsoever, which is pretty awful when you compare this to the fact that smc was pumping out new versions of itself less than or equal to 4 months at a time earlier
Hello again, old friend.
Dr. Luygi
Gee red
Gee red

Postby penguin » 28 Feb 2012 03:37

Well, just so you guys know, FluXy is still visiting the forums, however I don't think he has time in his schedule allowed for SMC.... which is sad to think....
Anyone know why a few of the MVP's aren't visiting????

Last visit dates:
mrvertigo27 - 11-21-11
Luiji - 1-1-12
Yoshis_Fan - 12-20-11

Kinda shocking in my opinion....
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby crow9724 » 05 Mar 2012 05:22

I would be glad to help out if anybody is still interested in making something happen here. My day job involves mostly programming in C#, some embedded C, and maintaining legacy VB6 apps but I do have lots of experience with C++ (I am familiar with NSIS too).

Yeah, so just let me know if you guys are serious about moving forward with this and want extra hands.

Thanks!
crow9724
Furball brown
Furball brown

Postby Luiji » 07 Mar 2012 01:32

Most of the MVPs have no time to do anything on these forums. I'm in a nice pocket of free time right now...

Like BowserJr, I've come to the state where I feel guilty when topics like this arise (I think two or three have come up since I went AWOL). When I'm super-tired and am not thinking clearly I think about forking SMC and doing some massive modifications (switching to Allegro5 instead of SDL/OpenGL so that Direct3D support can be added and eliminating Boost/CEGUI-requirements and instead using simpler, internal systems). No time, though! =(
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 07 Mar 2012 01:36

Clone your brain and give it to ME, because I have too much free time, more than I want.
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby Luiji » 14 Mar 2012 00:32

Also, I'm a bit hesitant to just fork SMC. It feels...disrespectful to FluXy, who I still thinks wants to be able to chart the course for SMC, even if he doesn't have time to implement the course himself.
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby -DarkAceZ- » 14 Mar 2012 04:41

Luiji wrote:Also, I'm a bit hesitant to just fork SMC. It feels...disrespectful to FluXy, who I still thinks wants to be able to chart the course for SMC, even if he doesn't have time to implement the course himself.

Yes, YES!! This is EXACLY how I feel about this!! But i don't want the project to just die like the way it is...
-DarkAceZ-
Maryo small
Maryo small

Postby DevEd2 » 14 Mar 2012 14:15

I think it may be too late.

Perhaps if someone were to email FluXy asking him about SMC, then maybe things would get done...
DevEd2
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby mrvertigo27 » 16 Mar 2012 17:28

**guilt** but what can *I* do?
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Next

Return to Development