Developing Xbox port

Source Code and development in general from a technical point of view. Post Patches here.

Moderator: SMC Team

Developing Xbox port

Postby hcf » 19 Jul 2012 17:01

Hi! First of all, I would like to say a big congratulations for making this amazing game. :D

I was trying to make a port of Secret Maryo Chronicles for the Xbox for many time, but I am not talking about the "Xbox 360", but the original Xbox. As this console lacks of OpenGL support, I started the port from your version 0.97, that was entirely based in SDL and without any OpenGL functions. After some effort, I managed to do it, and the game already runs in the Xbox... but it is very very slow.

Studying the slowness, it seems that it is due to the huge amount of collision detection that the game performs all the time. I tried some optimizations on my own, but without much success :cry:

But seeing your forums and changelog, I have seen that in later versions, you achieved great results with the collision detection, and the requirements of your game are much lower now. Sadly, I cannot port later versions of SMC because of the lack of OpenGL in Xbox... but now I am thinking about trying to include that "better collision detection system" of your future versions... in the 0.97 version that I am porting.

Do you think that this is possible? Or maybe the old 0.97 version is such different than the new ones, that it would be impossible to do it? Anyways, I will try to do it... although if anyone wants to give me an advice, it would be very nice :)

Thank you for your work and congratulations again, you have done a marvelous thing!
hcf
Furball blue
Furball blue

Re: Developing Xbox port

Postby Luiji » 20 Jul 2012 04:32

I've been wanting to do a Direct3D port for awhile, but SMC's pretty well rooted in OpenGL. It would require quite a bit of clean-up, and I don't actually know Direct3D (porting SMC would be my method of learning it). AFAIK, that's the only way to go about this.

If you just want to get the older version's collision detection to run faster, though, it might be easier then porting modern SMC to Direct3D. Quadtrees should work wonders.

I'm glad your interested in porting SMC to new platforms. I think that it's a fun way to test your hacking skills. :D
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Re: Developing Xbox port

Postby hcf » 20 Jul 2012 07:45

Thank you very much for your quick response. Yes, Xbox is more based in Direct3D, but at the moment I don't have enough Direct3D/OpenGL skills (it would be a very good way to learn, as you said!).

First of all I am going to try to apply some more manual optimizations, and if it is not enough, then I will go with that Direct3D/OpenGL translation... although I guess that the guys that are now porting OpenGL to Xbox, will finish their work before me :lol:

Thank you very much!
hcf
Furball blue
Furball blue

Return to Development