SVG Database

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

SVG Database

Postby Fabianius » 15 Feb 2009 17:39

Secret Maryo Chronicles has lots of nice SVG graphics, which are used as low-resolution PNGs in the game. It's too bad that they aren't presented on the homepage, although they look very good. Well, I took the SVG graphics from the SVN and put them into another folder. I wrote a PHP script that shows the directories and renders the SVG files with the aid of Inkscape, so you can see the pictures as PNG graphics in your browser.

You can have a look at the high-resolution pictures and even download the SVG files directly. Note that some browsers aren't supported (especially Internet Explorer), so you'll need to download a standard-compliant browser like Mozilla Firefox or Opera.

I created that project to show everyone here and out there on this world the variety of this open-source game. There are only a very few games that are based on SVG graphics. Who knows, probably it's the first game played on a 1000-inch plasma-television in hundred years, and the game would look sharp even your eyes are a foot ahead the TV. Anyway, enough philosophized!

Currently the script runs on my own computer, so it is slow sometimes. It would be nice, if it could be run on FluXy's server, but it has to be a root server, because you have to install Inkscape, that renders the SVG files. Note that the graphics have to be rendered once, so you have to wait once for a long time until you see the picture. They are cached then, though.

I had to pick the SVG files myself from the SVN repository, thus they are sorted different there. However, I could link to an always updated SVN directory, where the files were, so I wouldn't have to collect the new SVG files from lots of directories anymore.

Unfortunately some files are missing in the collection, like the Maryo figure (Adobe Illustrator). Furthermore there are some XAR files that I can't render. I don't know whether you can export the files with Xara Extreme as SVG files because I don't have Linux at the moment. Perhaps I'll install it in some months.

I hope you enjoy having a look at your self-created artwork!
SVG Database
Fabianius
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: SVG Database

Postby Luiji » 03 Apr 2010 23:14

Could this be implemented on the official website? It'd be nice to have a page where users could see all of the wonderful graphics away from the screenshots.
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby mrvertigo27 » 03 Apr 2010 23:41

i believe he said in some other topic that he may be refreshing this soon.
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby smc_gamer » 20 Aug 2010 00:54

It's asking for a password, and leaving the spaces empty doesn't work.
smc_gamer
Blog | "If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?" -Hobbes
smc_gamer
Static Saw
Static Saw

Return to Add-Ons and 3rd Party things