Add-Ons?

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

Add-Ons?

Postby mpksingh » 27 Jun 2009 11:22

Dear Moderator/members,

I understand that when we talk about Add-Ons and 3rd party things, we actually talk about those developed by our members (I may be wrong) who are skilled enough to do so in Inkscape or such tools approved for it. The NeT is full of graphics some of which are FREE or ROYALTY FREE or FREE FOR NON-COMMERCIAL use which if used, I believe, can really enhance Maryo. I have, back home, made a couple of maps using such graphics which I downloaded months back and they look different. I have also downloaded a tool for coverting GIF files to PNG. What I want to know is whether it is allowed to use such items for Maryo and if not, is there any hope of getting permissions for their use in future?

I am new and at the moment, with no knowledge of codes, etc. etc., doing some experiments with the SETTINGS files (I even did not know that NOTEPAD can be used to open the "settings" files) and they are quite interesting.

Please enlighten me.

Best regards,
mpksingh
mpksingh
Furball blue
Furball blue

Re: Add-Ons?

Postby Konstantin » 27 Jun 2009 14:08

SMC is an open-soucre game. That means you are allowed to build in things or put them out. Surely, it is not fo commercial use. You can upload your built-in things into the Forum and if Fluxy likes that Graphic/Sound effect/Music/Level/Programming code he will build it into the official version of the game.(The current one is 1.8 )
For more informations ask Fluxy or a Team-Member.

Hope i could help you,

Konstantin :mrgreen:
All my levels
If you expirience Problems or just Need help, contact me.
My Skype ID: Goggy96
Konstantin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby mpksingh » 27 Jun 2009 15:01

Konstantin wrote:SMC is an open-soucre game. That means you are allowed to build in things or put them out. Surely, it is not fo commercial use. You can upload your built-in things into the Forum and if Fluxy likes that Graphic/Sound effect/Music/Level/Programming code he will build it into the official version of the game.(The current one is 1.8 )
For more informations ask Fluxy or a Team-Member.

Hope i could help you,

Dear Konstantin,

Thanks for the information which is a positive development for me. I will certainly ask Fluxy for more information.

Best regards,
mpksingh
mpksingh
Furball blue
Furball blue

Postby Konstantin » 28 Jun 2009 09:49

You don't need to try to ask Fluxy for further informations, because he is working on something else. It's better to ask BowserJr or Sauer2 for a more detailed Description.

All my levels
If you expirience Problems or just Need help, contact me.
My Skype ID: Goggy96
Konstantin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby BowserJr » 28 Jun 2009 10:21

Thanks for bringing me into this. :|

Add-ons and 3rd Party things is not for graphics. They go in "New graphics". Add ons is for patches to the code to add new unsupported features (not bugfixes, they go in development), or external programs or scripts that run outside of SMC and enhance it in some way.

New graphics are currently only accepted if created in Inkscape. This allows images to be easily edited and scaled with no distortion or loss of quality, and the SVG files consitute "source code" under the GPL. Any new graphics must also fit the style of the game and have appropriate shading, gradients e.t.c.

We had a big discussion a while back about using "free" art from the web: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003 and pretty much decided that the only way to be completely safe was to make everything ourselves.

If you want to make graphics, I highly recommend you learn Inkscape. It's such a useful tool and the tutorials are great. I use it for all my graphics works now. :)

And notepad is just a text editor; it will open, edit and save any file on your computer. It just might not understand the file or display it as human readable text.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby mpksingh » 02 Jul 2009 15:39

BowserJr wrote:Thanks for bringing me into this. :|

Add-ons and 3rd Party things is not for graphics. They go in "New graphics". Add ons is for patches to the code to add new unsupported features (not bugfixes, they go in development), or external programs or scripts that run outside of SMC and enhance it in some way.

New graphics are currently only accepted if created in Inkscape. This allows images to be easily edited and scaled with no distortion or loss of quality, and the SVG files consitute "source code" under the GPL. Any new graphics must also fit the style of the game and have appropriate shading, gradients e.t.c.

We had a big discussion a while back about using "free" art from the web: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003 and pretty much decided that the only way to be completely safe was to make everything ourselves.

If you want to make graphics, I highly recommend you learn Inkscape. It's such a useful tool and the tutorials are great. I use it for all my graphics works now. :)

And notepad is just a text editor; it will open, edit and save any file on your computer. It just might not understand the file or display it as human readable text.

Dear Browser Jr

You have cleared my mind completely. I already have Inkscape and doing some small things with that without actually knowing it in detail despite having its tutorial. However, I have made a map using some graphics (downloaded as jpg/gif/png etc and converting the jpg/gif ones to pngs with Inkscape after editing a couple of them with Paintshop Pro) just to enhance the scenario and would upload it soon.

Now, I understand that I should learn Inkscape to do things on my own without depending on the free ware ones. Besides, depending too much on such free ware items deprive one to show his/her hidden talent, particularly the younger generation who are the backbone of our future. I am almost 50 years of age now and yet, would try to learn whatever is possible. Feel lucky to be a member of the SMC community.

Reading and trying to know the contents at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1003 (Palm Tree). It would help me more.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
mpksingh
mpksingh
Furball blue
Furball blue

Return to Add-Ons and 3rd Party things