Flash SMC

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

Flash SMC

Postby penguin » 20 Mar 2010 05:13

This is for people that don't want to install smc but want to play.

Is it possible to create a smc that could be accessed just by the website and using flash player?
My freind e-mailed me the other day, he wants it but doesn't want to install

Could be based off of the images but without music and little sounds. Maybe could include just lvl_01 to lvl_10. That way, people could try smc out and then decide to download and install.
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Re: Flash SMC

Postby penguin » 20 Mar 2010 05:14

Could also bring in donations! :mrgreen:
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 20 Mar 2010 05:16

Full duplicate would be too much work to manage. Maybe just a demo?
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby penguin » 20 Mar 2010 05:18

Luiji wrote:Full duplicate would be too much work to manage. Maybe just a demo?

That's just what i meant.
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Guest_xD » 20 Mar 2010 23:48

I could go ahead and try it, since I'm a pretty good flash developer... EXCEPT when it comes down to jump&run and physics-games...

Gotta try it anyways, but not today I guess (12 minutes won't do any good :))

Best regards
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 20 Mar 2010 23:58

Guest_xD wrote:I could go ahead and try it, since I'm a pretty good flash developer... EXCEPT when it comes down to jump&run and physics-games...

Gotta try it anyways, but not today I guess (12 minutes won't do any good :))

Best regards

Great!
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby mrvertigo27 » 21 Mar 2010 02:56

cool, my question is this, is there a way to make the flash version simply a wraper for the current game version, this would make it much easier to keep up to date.

or at least make flash call for outside images (even if it means having a loading screen while it fetches the images from the server backend) this would at least make it easier to update with new images should we replace graphicX or imageY
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby BowserJr » 21 Mar 2010 12:15

Ugh. Why are people justifying this stupid thread by posting responses?

No, we're not going to build a Flash SMC. If SMC could have been built entirely in Flash from the beginning, it would have been.

SMC requires a lot of code and a lot of libraries specific to C/C++. A Flash port would be an complete re-write of the entire game. The only thing that could be reused are graphics and sound.

Graphics and sound are currently over 40MB (+another 40 for music), so would have to be massively compressed.

If there were an official Flash version, why would anyone download the proper version? No one wants to download 50MB for something they can already play in their browser.

People play Flash games until they get bored, then move on and never play them again. People don't spend days or weeks making levels for flash games. People don't join forums to discuss improvements to Flash games. We need to attract people who want to contribute to a quality open source project, not people who want to play a quick online game for a few minutes.

Having an official flash SMC would devalue the name and the brand, because people would associate SMC with a crappy flash game.

If you want to create an unofficial flash game based on the graphics and sound of SMC, go ahead, it can only be good publicity, but creating an official Flash version can only devalue the main game. It's the same reason Nintendo don't pump out Flash Mario games.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Crabmaster » 21 Mar 2010 12:41

I agree with bowser jr on this.. :mrgreen:

I've only seen one flash game that ever ran smoothly,was fun, and didn't bore me in one siting. Flash would in my opinion kill the fun in SMC. :mrgreen:
Feeling nostalgic for this ol' place!
Crabmaster
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 21 Mar 2010 15:09

I guess I didn't understand, I thought this idea was to make a flash demo with three levels or so to show off the features of SMC and then have a download link in the end screen.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby Guest_xD » 21 Mar 2010 17:08

BowserJr wrote:People play Flash games until they get bored, then move on and never play them again [...]

Not totally true, there are (very few) flash games on the web for which people sign up to a forum etc.
Though, those flash games are damn f*cking great ;)

In total, you are actually right, but I though more like: Start in world_1 have 1-3 levels or so and then give a download-link to the game, showing off an editor and what stuff you'll get if you download&install the full version ;)
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 21 Mar 2010 17:22

Guest_xD wrote:In total, you are actually right, but I though more like: Start in world_1 have 1-3 levels or so and then give a download-link to the game, showing off an editor and what stuff you'll get if you download&install the full version ;)

Yay! I didn't misunderstand the idea! Yay! :lol:
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby mrvertigo27 » 21 Mar 2010 18:36

I actually agree with BowserJr on this, thats why i ask if it was possible to do it as a wrapper for the current game, it seems that the extra dev time would be unjustified. to me it seems that way anyway
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 21 Mar 2010 19:43

mrvertigo27 wrote:I actually agree with BowserJr on this, thats why i ask if it was possible to do it as a wrapper for the current game, it seems that the extra dev time would be unjustified. to me it seems that way anyway

I don't understand, a wrapper? Do you mean an interface that uses the current SMC code?

The Flash script would have to be a complete rewrite.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby penguin » 21 Mar 2010 20:00

Yeah... I just wanted like 2 levels that just shows what smc looks like. I still think it could possibly bring in donations... :mrgreen: mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 21 Mar 2010 20:20

If we leave out some of the enemies such as the krush and spikeball, along with many useless other objects, and create smaller, demo levels, this could work out quite nicely.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby BowserJr » 21 Mar 2010 20:57

Guest_xD wrote:In total, you are actually right, but I though more like: Start in world_1 have 1-3 levels or so and then give a download-link to the game, showing off an editor and what stuff you'll get if you download&install the full version ;)

But the Flash version won't look or play the same, so it's hardly a demo. :roll:

Plus, who has EVER finished a Flash game and clicked the link to get the download version? Most Flash games aren't that impressive, and most people who play Flash games are only doing so because they can't/ don't want to download and install something. I can guarantee that if there were a Flash version on this site, however good, I would never have downloaded it.

Things that would give people a much better feel for the game (and also require a lot less work):
videos
screenshots
looking at the raw images
reviews
feature lists/ manuals

And why does no one understand that if the demo is a Flash game with a download link, it will look like the download is just the Flash game with a few more levels? And any Flash game of any quality will get picked and hosted on a lot of game sites, where users will play it and never even come to this site.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 21 Mar 2010 20:58

BowserJr wrote:Plus, who has EVER finished a Flash game and clicked the link to get the download version? Most Flash games aren't that impressive, and most people who play Flash games are only doing so because they can't/ don't want to download and install something.

Good point.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby mrvertigo27 » 21 Mar 2010 23:53

yah, this is defiantly in the bad idea category
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby penguin » 22 Mar 2010 00:08

If there is game sites trying to get it, put it in a folder that has a lot of security, for example, have the falsh game ask what the url was before the hit the game, it should give "Access is denied." It should only allow the source to be secretmaryo.org, so, they are forced to come to this site. Also, have the website record the ip address so if someone downloads just the game, we could block that ip from getting it again! :mrgreen: That is what i call SECURE! :mrgreen:

Otherwise, I agree with luiji that we could make it easier, BUT, it would run a lot faster. Sucks for people with a low graphics card... Rocks for me! (I have a 256Mb video card!)
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Next

Return to Add-Ons and 3rd Party things