Flash SMC

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

Re: Flash SMC

Postby Luiji » 22 Mar 2010 00:15

penguin wrote:If there is game sites trying to get it, put it in a folder that has a lot of security, for example, have the falsh game ask what the url was before the hit the game, it should give "Access is denied." It should only allow the source to be secretmaryo.org, so, they are forced to come to this site. Also, have the website record the ip address so if someone downloads just the game, we could block that ip from getting it again! :mrgreen: That is what i call SECURE! :mrgreen:

Otherwise, I agree with luiji that we could make it easier, BUT, it would run a lot faster. Sucks for people with a low graphics card... Rocks for me! (I have a 256Mb video card!)

Penguin, I respect you trying to push this idea, but it's been dissed by MrVertigo and BowserJr, which means it will never become an officially supported idea.
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby Guest_xD » 22 Mar 2010 16:39

Yeah, but remember: BowserJr said, that he wouldnt like it to be completely recoded etc...
I dont need to put in each damn sprite just for the 3-4 first levels there.
I can leave out mostly all tilesets and lots of the enemies which I dont need there.
The file wont get any bigger than 5 MB, I promise ;)

Im gonna start working now guys, so get ready for some show-off earlier or later...
As I said, just a small thing, I will try to get the game logic as exactly copied as possible...

EDIT: To the security thing. This won't be necessary, as there is no point in hacking a flash knockoff which contains only 3 levels.
EDIT2: I might be adding some surprises ;)

Best regards
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby BowserJr » 22 Mar 2010 18:32

Guest_xD wrote:Yeah, but remember: BowserJr said, that he wouldnt like it to be completely recoded etc...
I dont need to put in each damn sprite just for the 3-4 first levels there.
I can leave out mostly all tilesets and lots of the enemies which I dont need there.

If you read anything I said, you'll see that that wasn't my main concern. That was just one reason why the idea was stupid.

To quote myself:
If there were an official Flash version, why would anyone download the proper version? No one wants to download 50MB for something they can already play in their browser.

Having an official flash SMC would devalue the name and the brand, because people would associate SMC with a crappy flash game.

if the demo is a Flash game with a download link, it will look like the download is just the Flash game with a few more levels

who has EVER finished a Flash game and clicked the link to get the download version?

If you want to create an unofficial flash game based on the graphics and sound of SMC, go ahead, it can only be good publicity, but creating an official Flash version can only devalue the main game.

So, to repeat myself again, if you want to make a Flash game, don't make it official. Don't call it Secret Maryo Chronicles (using Maryo is fine). Don't say it's a demo of the main game. It's probably better if you don't use levels from the main game, to avoid confusion. Host it somewhere else, and include a link to SMC (without using the words "full version" :P ). Think any Mario sprite Flash game and you're on the right lines. I'll move this thread to Add-ons and 3rd party things. Sorry to be so strict, but I really don't think official fan games are good for a project.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: Flash SMC is not really that good an Idea!

Postby Crabmaster » 22 Mar 2010 18:47

I agree with Bowser again, a Flash version is not a good idea, if you want a Flash version do it Unofficial. :mrgreen:

And if you do put a link to SMC website you should put something like "Real and more fun version this was based off of." :P
Feeling nostalgic for this ol' place!
Crabmaster
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Guest_xD » 22 Mar 2010 19:27

Crabmaster wrote:I agree with Bowser again, a Flash version is not a good idea, if you want a Flash version do it Unofficial. :mrgreen:

And if you do put a link to SMC website you should put something like "Real and more fun version this was based off of." :P

Nope, got a better idea!
I make my Flash SMC and put every of those ideas in my head into it and make it even BETTER than SMC :P
I also don't need to worry 'bout filesize, Ill just host the images somewhere in the internet and load them into the SWF when they are needed ;)

Best regards
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 22 Mar 2010 19:28

Guest_xD wrote:
Crabmaster wrote:I agree with Bowser again, a Flash version is not a good idea, if you want a Flash version do it Unofficial. :mrgreen:

Nope, got a better idea!
I make my Flash SMC and put every of those ideas in my head into it and make it even BETTER than SMC :P
I also don't need to worry 'bout filesize, Ill just host the images somewhere in the internet and load them into the SWF when they are needed ;)

Best regards

Please don't make me explain why this is a horrible idea.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby penguin » 22 Mar 2010 22:38

What images are there to be in the game? I might be able to host them... please put them in one folder please! Thank you!

my webpage http://sites.google.com/site/dlpenguinlover
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby mrvertigo27 » 22 Mar 2010 23:08

let me say this, if you are looking to fork the project from its current course to a flash version you are free to do so per the GPL but it would need to be a real fork involving a new name, website, and so on, the source would need to be available as per the GPL and would need a project maintainer that could maintain it.

I am not a big proponent of forks but since there is interest in following this I believe this would be the only viable option for those who would like to see the smc graphics pasted over a flash interface.

I do not believe that this project has the resources to support a flash version and do not believe that the community as a whole is behind this idea. I could be wrong here, but doubt that I am.

So fork if you must as long as the terms of the GPL are met.
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby penguin » 25 Mar 2010 13:49

Like i said... i'll be more than welcome to host the images for you,just give me a list of images to include. i will post where they are once i get them all uploaded...
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby FluXy » 26 Mar 2010 09:33

This is really a stupid idea !
I hate flash but tolerate it for videos :P
If i didn't read your post but it was important you can send me a PM.
Any Donation will help this project!
FluXy
Admin
Admin

[OT]

Postby Guest_xD » 26 Mar 2010 13:25

FluXy wrote:This is really a stupid idea !

I think flash is quite fun if you just know how to keep everything optimized (using bitmaps, bit-operations, multiplying instead of dividing if possible etc.), and I dont really like C++, its ways faster than flash, but I just dont get the hang of all those references, pointers and whatnot >.>
Same goes for Visual Basic, I just am too lazy to learn this stuff, so I try to avoid using it.
C#/XNA are my preferred language for large-scale games, as they are easy to use and offer good performance.

Best regards (and yes, Im aware that this was OT)
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Re: [OT]

Postby Luiji » 26 Mar 2010 16:05

Guest_xD wrote:

I think flash is quite fun if you just know how to keep everything optimized (using bitmaps, bit-operations, multiplying instead of dividing if possible etc.), and I dont really like C++, its ways faster than flash, but I just dont get the hang of all those references, pointers and whatnot >.>
Same goes for Visual Basic, I just am too lazy to learn this stuff, so I try to avoid using it.
C#/XNA are my preferred language for large-scale games, as they are easy to use and offer good performance.

XNA only works on Windows and XBOX, so it is not good for SMC normal.

C++ is much more efficient then interpreted and virtual machine languages like C# and Python (not to say I don't like those programming languages).
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Re: [OT]

Postby Guest_xD » 26 Mar 2010 16:15

Luiji wrote:
Guest_xD wrote:

XNA only works on Windows and XBOX, so it is not good for SMC normal.

C++ is much more efficient then interpreted and virtual machine languages like C# and Python (not to say I don't like those programming languages).

I'm well aware of this, but since I actually am not a noob in optimizing I am able to keep the performance up (Im not saying SMC isnt optimized ;))
I also didnt say that the languages I was talking about are good for SMC, I just said that I dont like C++ :D

Best regards
Guest_xD
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Crabmaster » 26 Mar 2010 18:49

I'm sorry Penguin and Guest_xD can this topic die, you have Me, Luiji, Fluxy, Mrvertigo27, and Bowser_jr all thinking it is a bad idea(That is THE ADMIN, an MVP, two team members, and Luiji who does lots of stuff) so I am getting the feeling that you shouldn't do it at all. :mrgreen:
Crabmaster
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby BowserJr » 27 Mar 2010 00:59

I need to just remind Crabmaster and everyone else that Smc is an open source, GPL project, so we have no right to forbid people from making derivatives or using assets. That doesn't mean they are officially supported, but I've already said I have no problems with an external fan project. And even if I did have problems, I, or anyone else here, couldn't stop you without violating GPL ourselves.

And please discuss your favourite programming languages elsewhere. ;)
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 27 Mar 2010 01:05

BowserJr wrote:I need to just remind Crabmaster and everyone else that Smc is an open source, GPL project, so we have no right to forbid people from making derivatives or using assets. That doesn't mean they are officially supported, but I've already said I have no problems with an external fan project. And even if I did have problems, I, or anyone else here, couldn't stop you without violating GPL ourselves.

And please discuss your favourite programming languages elsewhere. ;)

We're not trying to forbid them from making this, we're just trying to stop them from asking to make it official.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby Crabmaster » 27 Mar 2010 02:35

Not that I am forbidding him, it is just being that he is posting his progress and stuff on the forum makes it sound like it is a secondary SMC, and being that there are people like Fluxy who don't like it, it doesn't seem like a that discussion on it should continue here. :mrgreen:

So yes it is fine if they make it, just don't make in anywhere near official thing of a Flash SMC. :mrgreen:
Now a nonofficial Flash SMC is fine by me. :mrgreen:
Crabmaster
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby BowserJr » 28 Mar 2010 10:26

Sorry, I think I misread when you said:
Crabmaster wrote: I am getting the feeling that you shouldn't do it at all. :mrgreen:

Which sounded like you thought he shouldn't do it at all.
It's fine to discuss fan games here, because this is "add-ons and 3rd party things", and a fan game is essentially a 3rd party game. We're not exactly like Nintendo. 8)
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby penguin » 02 Apr 2010 01:53

I just wanted to make this so it would promote SMC! Otherwise, this wouldn't be here.

Guest_XD, can you put in a button to donate to the project? FluXy would probably like it if you did...
my wiki page
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Luiji » 02 Apr 2010 01:59

penguin wrote:I just wanted to make this so it would promote SMC! Otherwise, this wouldn't be here.

Guest_XD, can you put in a button to donate to the project? FluXy would probably like it if you did...

Er, that would be implying that this would be official, which FluXy himself said he didn't want.

Best idea: reference this as the basis of the...minigame, I guess you could call it.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Add-Ons and 3rd Party things