"Ninja" Mushroom

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

"Ninja" Mushroom

Postby segfault101 » 04 Apr 2007 18:14

I implemented a black mushroom. When picked up, Maryo will be able to run faster, jump higher and do a "wall jump". Currently it uses the animations and collision detection of maryo_small. Wall jumping is achieved by holding down the jump key and the direction key equal to the wall normal while colliding with a wall. (Example: While approaching a wall on Maryo's right side, hold down the jump key and the left key before you collide.)
A nice level to test this out is "tower_1".

Installation:
The .tar archive contains the modified files (Checked out via SVN approximately 24 hours prior to this post) as well as the .png for the black mushroom. Extract it in the main SMC directory.
It's also necessary to make a copy of data/pixmaps/maryo/small/ renamed to ninja/.
Attachments
maryo_ninja.tar
(180 KiB) Downloaded 916 times
Last edited by segfault101 on 27 Sep 2008 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
segfault101
Turtle Shell red
Turtle Shell red

Postby Manscent » 05 Apr 2007 06:56

I could not get this to work. Do I need to pick up one of the ninja mushrooms before the ability is unlocked, or is it supposed to be automatic when you are small maryo? I didn't see an option in the editor to add the mushroom to a level. Your help would be appreciated. If this is legit I think it's a great idea.
Manscent
Spike
Spike

Postby segfault101 » 05 Apr 2007 10:01

Manscent wrote:I could not get this to work. Do I need to pick up one of the ninja mushrooms before the ability is unlocked, or is it supposed to be automatic when you are small maryo? I didn't see an option in the editor to add the mushroom to a level. Your help would be appreciated. If this is legit I think it's a great idea.

It works like any other powerup such as the fire plant; you need to pick it up in order to use it.
I didn't modify the level editor, so that's probably why you can't find it in the menu. I didn't even try since I get a segmentation fault whenever I start it.

To include it in a level, I made a copy of all.smclvl and edited one of the existing <box>:es in plain text. The index of an ordinary mushroom is 25. The black mushroom uses 53.
Change this: <Property name="item" value="25" /> (Only one occurrence in all.smclvl)
To this: <Property name="item" value="53" />
segfault101
Turtle Shell red
Turtle Shell red

Postby manbody » 06 Apr 2007 17:27

where do I find the lvl files?
manbody

Postby segfault101 » 06 Apr 2007 18:27

manbody wrote:where do I find the lvl files?

Typically at SMC/data/levels.
For me they were installed in /usr/local/share/smc/levels, but you should only need the previous path if you're compiling and installing yourself.
segfault101
Turtle Shell red
Turtle Shell red

Postby Mancus Nemo » 22 Sep 2007 00:22

Will you build an compatible Version for SMC 1.1?
I habe heard it dosen't work with 1.1.
*Sorry for my bad English, normally I write in German.
Mancus Nemo
MVP
MVP

Postby Guest » 29 Oct 2007 22:07

Don't know, but I would really if it was added to the main game.

Postby Mancus Nemo » 30 Oct 2007 18:44

1. Why u havent an account?
2. Make a file for version 1.2 and i will tell Fluxey the boss. And it will added on the homepage.
*Sorry for my bad English, normally I write in German.
Mancus Nemo
MVP
MVP

Postby FluXy » 30 Oct 2007 20:00

Graphics are missing and i think a Ninja doesn't fit.
If i didn't read your post but it was important you can send me a PM.
Any Donation will help this project!
FluXy
Admin
Admin

Postby Guest » 30 Oct 2007 20:51

Calling it ninja mushroom or have maryo dressed as a ninja is really secondary to me. I just really enjoy the wall jump in games. I think it should be a power maryo unlocks as the game progresses and he should always have the ability. And I don't know how to "make a file." What do you mean?

Wall jump mushroom?

Postby helios » 30 Oct 2007 21:28

I agree with FluXy that having it nija themed doesn't really fit the style of the game, and also that having it be a permanent ability of Maryo's would affect how people play levels that have already been designed, however... letting level designers *temporarily* give Maryo the ability to do special jumps (kind of like the ghost mushroom *temporarily* lets Maryo see invisible items) could be cool and open up more level design opportunities.
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby BowserJr » 31 Oct 2007 07:56

I think this would be great as an unlockable ability for a story mode:

"Maryo gets his memories slowly back of special abilities"

It'd be a great thing to get towards the end, then you could use it to go back and discover new secrets in earlier levels. I think using it to find secrets you're not supposed to is half the fun and just being given it for a small time destroys the mystery. If I just get the ability to make one jump, why not just make the jump smaller? Plus if you fail the jump (wall jumps are challenging) and lose the mushroom, you've effectively screwed up the level.
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Guest » 31 Oct 2007 17:00

That was my concern too bowser. But that problem could be surmounted by having an item box near start of the obstacle. The item box would have to respawn the item every few seconds or if you become small maryo. But it would be really fun to be able to find areas in earlier levels if this became just a standard ability of maryo.

Postby FluXy » 01 Nov 2007 11:27

If he could wall jump in every level it's easy to trick some objectives.

How about he can only wall jump on special gum stones ? :wink:
FluXy
Admin
Admin

Postby BowserJr » 01 Nov 2007 12:02

Of course you can trick objectives. That's part of the joy of Mario 64 :D

I'd be very happy with "springable" (or something) as an object class. That way you could easily "control the gamebreaking". I'm just not sure how many people think there are already too many object classes :? .

I don't know how obvious it was that I wanted wall jump for mt_sec. :P I tried so many possible arrangements with no success, but I eventually went with a Thromp to carry you up. I still thinks he looks out of place there...
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby helios » 02 Nov 2007 03:09

Wall jump on special "springable" tiles sounds like a good compromise to me. We still get a shiny new ability, and the work people have put into designing previous levels is maintained.

Love it.
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2007 06:39

That is a good resolution Helios. What does everyone else think. Do you want to vote on adding what helios described?

Postby BowserJr » 02 Nov 2007 10:47

Yes. Good thinking... helios :evil:
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby FluXy » 02 Nov 2007 12:24

Anonymous wrote:Do you want to vote on adding what helios described?

Votes shouldn't be used except if there is absolutely no other way.
They do more harm than good.
FluXy
Admin
Admin

Postby helios » 03 Nov 2007 01:52

Anonymous wrote:That is a good resolution Helios.

Huh? Um, thanks, but I thought I was just restating what had already been suggested!

Please send all kudos / wrath to BowserJr + FluXy. I'm just the guy going "uh yeah, that sounds good!"
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Next

Return to Add-Ons and 3rd Party things