Xbox port released

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

Xbox port released

Postby hcf » 12 Nov 2012 13:12

Hi Secret Maryo friends!

I'm very glad to say that I have made a port of Secret Maryo Chronicles for Xbox (not the Xbox 360, but the original Xbox). This idea was born in the year 2006, in this thread, and finally we have it:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=527729

The port is available in the http://www.emuxtras.net site. The version that I have ported is v0.97, which is a bit old but still very funny to play, and it is very nice that your wonderfull project is now playable in a new plattform. In the future, we hope to have OpenGL support for Xbox, and then we will be able to port the most modern versions of SMC :)

I want to say a big THANK YOU to all the people involved in this awesome project. Thank you from me, and thank you from all the Xbox users who are very happy to be able to play your game in our old (but still cool) black console.

Finally, I want to say that there is now a lot of people asking me where to download new worlds or levels for the game :) As I am not sure (because they must be compatible with the 0.97 version) I am suggesting to check your forum in this thread, and go for the oldest levels (from the year 2006 for example):

viewforum.php?f=21&start=280

Anyways, if anyone has gathered some levels compatible with that old v0.97 version of SMC and he could tell me, I would be very gratefull. I guess that the most modern levels are not compatible, but all the oldest levels can work in this Xbox version.

Thanks again for all, you know that now you have a lot of more fans of your wonderfull project! :)
hcf
Furball blue
Furball blue

Re: Xbox port released

Postby FluXy » 12 Nov 2012 14:34

Cool :D

- How did you get around the performance problems ?
- Please upload the source code somewhere!
- Checking if a level is compatible should be easy if you open it with a text editor and check the first line : "### Level Saved with Secret Maryo Chronicles V.0.97 ###"
Most levels saved with older versions should also work without problems and a maybe V. 0.98 - 0.99.2 but these can use new graphics and active objects.
V. 0.99.3 has the new (.smclvl) level format.
If i didn't read your post but it was important you can send me a PM.
Any Donation will help this project!
FluXy
Admin
Admin

Postby hcf » 12 Nov 2012 16:23

- How did you get around the performance problems ?

It may sound stupid, but after trying lots of things, I finally did not make any optimization on the code. The Xbox is powerfull enough to run this game, but I was not using the correct Optimization options of the compiler!! Some experienced developers of the Xbox scene (Hyper_Eye, Freakdave and Madmab) gave me advices and I configured the optimization options of the compiler properly... and then the game ran well without changing anything :D

- Please upload the source code somewhere!

Of course, I have attached it to this post. I am seeing that people is uploading the Xbox port to several sites (theisozone, eurasia, and so on...) and those sites will not host sources, but I think that the correct thing is placing the code here, because everyone that can search for it, will come to this site for sure :) If you think that this thread is not the correct one and you want to move this to other thread, or even to the downloads section of your web, of course feel free to do it. Oh, and there is no need to give credit to me :)

Thank you very much for the info about levels. It's a pity that there is no repository with all the levels compatible for every version, but anyways I'm sure that people will be able to look for levels themselves.

Do you think that it would be inappropiate if I write a post in the "Releases" section asking if people storaged levels of previous versions and could upload them for the Xbox users?

By the way... there is already people asking that the most modern version is ported... Maybe if we had OpenGL support in the future I will do it :)
Attachments
SMCX v097 source.rar
(140.74 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
hcf
Furball blue
Furball blue

Postby FluXy » 13 Nov 2012 21:18

Thanks.

hcf wrote:Do you think that it would be inappropiate if I write a post in the "Releases" section asking if people storaged levels of previous versions and could upload them for the Xbox users?

Should be no problem, level creators probably want their levels to be played as often and hard as possible ;)
If i didn't read your post but it was important you can send me a PM.
Any Donation will help this project!
FluXy
Admin
Admin

Postby To4ooo4 » 05 Jul 2013 20:12

:ninja: Make a PS3 port. That would be cool.
Pitiful Heartless, mindlessly collecting hearts. The rage of the Keyblade releases those hearts. They gather in darkness, masterless and free, until they weave together to make
KINGDOM HEARTS

~T2
http://nightmareshadowninja.boards.net/
To4ooo4
Gee red
Gee red

Postby DevEd2 » 11 Jul 2013 18:58

That would require WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time, more time than anybody of us here have. Furthermore, the XBOX port was only accomplished because the XBOX uses an architecture very similar to a PC (read: it has Intel inside), while the PS3 doesn't have an Intel CPU.

And stop bumping old threads already!

EDIT: SPELLING
Last edited by DevEd2 on 12 Jul 2013 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
DevEd2
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby penguin » 11 Jul 2013 19:20

Isn't the Xbox based on the Windows kernel also?
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby DevEd2 » 12 Jul 2013 16:42

Yes. Yes, it is.
DevEd2
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby To4ooo4 » 12 Apr 2014 01:46

hcf wrote:Hi Secret Maryo friends!

I'm very glad to say that I have made a port of Secret Maryo Chronicles for Xbox (not the Xbox 360, but the original Xbox). This idea was born in the year 2006, in this thread, and finally we have it:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=527729

The port is available in the http://www.emuxtras.net site. The version that I have ported is v0.97, which is a bit old but still very funny to play, and it is very nice that your wonderfull project is now playable in a new plattform. In the future, we hope to have OpenGL support for Xbox, and then we will be able to port the most modern versions of SMC :)

I want to say a big THANK YOU to all the people involved in this awesome project. Thank you from me, and thank you from all the Xbox users who are very happy to be able to play your game in our old (but still cool) black console.

Finally, I want to say that there is now a lot of people asking me where to download new worlds or levels for the game :) As I am not sure (because they must be compatible with the 0.97 version) I am suggesting to check your forum in this thread, and go for the oldest levels (from the year 2006 for example):

viewforum.php?f=21&start=280

Anyways, if anyone has gathered some levels compatible with that old v0.97 version of SMC and he could tell me, I would be very gratefull. I guess that the most modern levels are not compatible, but all the oldest levels can work in this Xbox version.

Thanks again for all, you know that now you have a lot of more fans of your wonderfull project! :)

Am I correct to assume this requires an emulator?
Pitiful Heartless, mindlessly collecting hearts. The rage of the Keyblade releases those hearts. They gather in darkness, masterless and free, until they weave together to make
KINGDOM HEARTS

~T2
http://nightmareshadowninja.boards.net/
To4ooo4
Gee red
Gee red

Postby DevEd2 » 13 Apr 2014 01:48

You are incorrect.
DevEd2
Turtle boss
Turtle boss