SMC with Wii remote!

Tools, Editors and other programs around SMC.

Moderator: SMC Team

SMC with Wii remote!

Postby BowserJr » 17 May 2007 11:59

Yes, time to get very excited, because now you can play the greatest Mario clone ever with funky new controls. And all you need is a Bluetooth enabled PC.

First, sync your Wii remote to your PC. there's instructions for that here: http://www.wiibrew.org/index.php?title=Wiimote_Tutorial or here: http://www.wiili.org/index.php/HowTo:BlueSoleil , depending on what Bluetooth drivers you're using. (Some adapters may not work, or may have limited features)

Once that's done, download, extract and run GlovePIE: http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_download.

Once that's running, you'll need a script. You'll find my script attached, which you can use. Extract this and move the file SMC.PIE to the GlovePIE/wiimotescripts folder. Load and run the script from inside GlovePIE, then open SMC. Make sure it's set to the default controls, and you should be ready to go!

Controls
There are three control schemes included:
1. Retro. Hold the Wii remote sideways, like an NES pad. Use the D-pad for movement, 1 to run/ shoot and 2 to jump. A to pause, and Plus to accept menu selections/ use itembox.
2. Classic. Connect the classic controller for SMW style controls. D-Pad or left stick for movement, x,y or R for run/ shoot, a/b for jump. Plus to pause, and minus for itembox/ menu selections
3. Modern. Connect the Nunchuk for a more original experience. Stick for movement, Z to run, A to jump, B to shoot. Home to pause, Plus for items/ menu selections. You can also use the D-pad for menu navigation.

You can switch control schemes at any time, just by changing the thing that's plugged in.

Nothing here uses the motion sensitivity, because it's hard to code, and I can't think of a good way of building it in. Also, the analog sticks don't actually offer analog control. That would require some PPjoy magic, and I can't get that to work :( . But rumble coming soon, maybe.

Have fun ;)
Attachments
SMC_GlovePIE.zip
Script for Glove PIE
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 1713 times
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby FluXy » 17 May 2007 13:18

It's on the news page :wink:
If i didn't read your post but it was important you can send me a PM.
Any Donation will help this project!
FluXy
Admin
Admin

Postby BowserJr » 17 May 2007 15:06

Cool, thanks.
Just to say, I've got PPJoy working now, but analog input doesn't really benefit this game. Also, I can't find a good place to put the rumble so it feels natural and doesn't interrupt the game or hurt your hand. So basically, I've done lots but achieved nothing :P
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Re: SMC with Wii remote!

Postby ?Æ¿ » 09 Nov 2008 20:08

this wont work on macs will it
≥≤≥≤
?Æ¿
Turtle Shell red
Turtle Shell red

Postby BowserJr » 09 Nov 2008 21:30

GlovePIE doesn't run on Mac, but if you have Bluetooth, there are Wii remote drivers for any OS. You'll have to learn the script interface and write your own script, and figure out how to connect the remote to your computer. I can't help, because I don't own a Mac, but this site has loads on info for any OS: http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Main_Page

And I have got SMC working in Linux using wminput/ CWiid, so it shouldn't be too hard in Mac. ;)
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby ?Æ¿ » 10 Nov 2008 02:55

I have no idea what any of the things on that page are talking about
≥≤≥≤
?Æ¿
Turtle Shell red
Turtle Shell red

Postby BowserJr » 10 Nov 2008 09:41

hmm... looks like Mac support isn't good anyway. All that's available at the moment is Remote Buddy (http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Remote_Buddy), which has a pretty GUI but no Nunchuk or CC support, or DarwiinRemote (http://www.wiili.org/index.php/DarwiinRemote), a CLI tool that has only minimal nunchuk support (no control stick). :(
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Konstantin » 13 Dec 2008 12:13

I heared that it will be able for mac soon! :D
All my levels
If you expirience Problems or just Need help, contact me.
My Skype ID: Goggy96
Konstantin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby Konstantin » 13 Dec 2008 12:14

Konstantin wrote:I heared that it will be able for mac soon! :D

Oh that was wrong i heared about Ps3 Controlers
All my levels
If you expirience Problems or just Need help, contact me.
My Skype ID: Goggy96
Konstantin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby mr.j » 06 Apr 2009 21:42

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but before I discovered these forums and BowserJr's GlovePie script, I had made my own. His script for just the wii remote is far superior to the one I wrote, but I also wrote another script I thought you might find interesting. This script uses PPJoy and the nunchuk to have joystick control, which can take some getting used to, but I found it superior to using just the wiimote because of an issue I found. When you try to jump higher, (that is, when jumping from standing still by pushing the one and two buttons on the wiiremote or the action and jump button) I found that I could not move the player from side to side. This is small I know, but there were a few places it was a pain. I also decided to take advantages of the accelerometers in the wiimote.

CONTROLS
move - joystick
jump - A button
action - B button OR Z button
drop powerup open chest - C button
escape - Home button
Screenshot - Down button
Toggle Sound - Minus
Toggle Music - Plus
Fire - shake wiimote left and right (like Twilight Princess Sword or Mario Galaxy Spin)

You will need PPJoy. I couldn't download from the mirror on the official site so here is another one.
Setup virtual controller One and make the mapping settings the default.
http://download-free.programas-gratis.n ... PPJoy-0.83

The same shake wiimote to shoot can be accomplished without the nunchuk by holding the wiimote like a nes controller and shaking up and down, even though the jump problem I mentioned earlier still exists.
Controls
move - D-pad
jump - Two Button
Action - One button
Open chest - Plus Button
Escape - Home Button
Shoot - Shake up and down

I've included both versions of the scripts I wrote in the zip.
Thanks to anyone who tries out my scripts. I did not take any of my ideas for scripts from BowserJr. Any similarities are coincidental. I developed these on my own.

I'm working on porting these to linux for use with wminput.
Attachments
SMCmotionshoot.zip
(761 Bytes) Downloaded 1107 times
mr.j
Furball brown
Furball brown

Postby BowserJr » 07 Apr 2009 11:10

Hi, thanks for posting this. I haven't tried this because I don't run Windows anymore, but as far as I know, analogue joysticks don't really work with this game. I'm not sure what is the issue you speak of, but the game converts all joystick input to button presses anyway. I found when trying to use analogue joysticks that the game was too sensitive to downwards stick motion, such that pulling it slightly downwards would cause Maryo to duck, breaking a run or falling through many platforms inadvertantly. Is this issue still present? Or have you mapped custom dead zones as a work around? I find analogue control to be useless anyway, due to the afformentioned mapping stick to buttons.

I like the idea of gesturing, but how well does it work? Is it reliable enough? I've never had any sucess with gesture controls.

And good luck with wminput. I've ported some of my scripts, but it's very limited compared to GlovePIE. There's no dead zone mapping, no if statements and very basic motion control recognition without writing plugins, which require recompilation of wminput. But, it's much easier to set up virtual joysticks. :)
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby mr.j » 07 Apr 2009 23:51

The gestures work well. The only issue that could arise with the gestures could possibly be a slight delay before you can fire another shot. I found it to be not very bothersome, as it was too short to matter. You could probably get faster time by lowering the sensitivity a bit as the response would be triggered a bit faster. I'm not quite sure how to map the gestures yet in wminput. SMC works well for me with the joystick, even though it is just button presses. You must have PPJoy to use the joystick functions though. I like using a joystick because it is better than a keyboard, and I avoid the issue I mentioned earlier.

Let me try to describe the issue a little better. This only occurs for me when using wiimote control without nunchuk and joystick. Let's suppose Maryo is standing still. I want to jump to a ledge above me that cannot be reached by a standard jump. To reach the height, I hit button 1 and then button 2 on the wiimote to trigger a higher jump. All is well if I start to move Maryo in a direction before I press 1 and 2, but if I press a direction after pressing 1 and 2, I can't move left or right during the jump. In other words I can only do a vertical jump. This gets annoying when trying to jump between small, single blocks.

Now that I think about it, the down control can be a little sensitive. This really never bothered me. I suppose all my idle hours with my video games have trained my thumbs to have accuracy with joysticks! I could try to program a dead zone for the downward direction if you want. I don't think it would be too much of an issue. (Oh what foolish confidence).
mr.j
Furball brown
Furball brown

Postby mr.j » 09 Apr 2009 02:36

Did a little testing, the gestures are just as fast as the keyboard!!

Thanks for one download! Lets see some more!
mr.j
Furball brown
Furball brown

Postby BowserJr » 09 Apr 2009 14:15

Yep, fireballs have a delay imposed to stop them being "too powerful". :)

As I said, wminput can't really do gestures without plugins. There is a "flick" object, but you need to shake pretty hard to get that to register.

Dead zones in GlovePIE are easy. Even better and easier is to not map Y to an axis at all, just map a certain amount of movement to the down button.
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Levelmakerman1 » 09 Jun 2009 11:56

How about SMC for Wii
Sry, but i'm born to fail! XD
Thank you for listening me guys, and thanks for the wonderful game! I just wanna say that this account is almost dead soon. I can post some levels and stuff very rarely. A long time after that this account will be TOTALLY dead. Sorry... Again, thank you for reading this. The last thing i want is at least one of my levels is in any new version of SMC.
Levelmakerman1
Rokko
Rokko

Postby BowserJr » 09 Jun 2009 14:18

Would be nice, but SMC uses a few libraries that aren't yet ported to Wii, such as Boost and CEGUI. Would be a lot of work to get it all working, and we don't even have a lead developer at the moment...
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 03 Apr 2010 23:19

This should be on the downloads page so that users can easily find it.

Can you purchase a Wii remote without the Wii from websites other then E-BAY?
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby mrvertigo27 » 03 Apr 2010 23:37

yah there all over just google it or go to walmart or some other major electronics retailer.
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby penguin » 04 Apr 2010 15:42

You can get one at Best Buy for about $50... If you also want a nunchuck, that's about $20 more.
my wiki page
I may disappear for a long time, but trust me, I'm still alive.
penguin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby BowserJr » 05 Apr 2010 09:46

Yeah, you can get Wii remotes easily, but I wouldn't recommend buying one just to do this. It's a big hassle and doesn't really work that well. It's much easier and cheaper to get a wired Xbox 360 controller, which should work out of the box and is configurable from the game.
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Next

Return to Add-Ons and 3rd Party things